lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
JJYamahaG2
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Comet 780 Belt Resting Question

I have a Yamaha G2/G9 and have purchased the Comet 780 for my clone swap from Vegas Carts, I have a brand new Dayco 3003 drive belt which is 1 3/16" wide as it should be, but my question is how it should sit in the 780. It will sit flat on the shaft in the clutch when I believe the sides of the belt should both be sitting on the sheaves of the clutch? I have fired up the engine and the belt just starts spinning the secondary before I give it any gas because it sits on the center shaft and doesn't touch the sheaves at all. Once I give it more gas both clutches seem to function normally. Any insight would be awesome as usual
JJYamahaG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Comet 780 Belt Resting Question

What rpm is your engine idling at? The idle needs to be as low as it can go, around 1000 rpm. The clutch will start to engage at 1600-1800, depending on how the clutch was tuned. If your engine idles high, the belt will drag on the clutch.

You want your belt as close to center as you can get, but it shouldn't be touching the sheaves. When a belt it new, it WILL touch just a hair and needs to be driven around for a while to break it in. The rubber will start to wear a bit and then it will sit and idle without dragging on the clutch and moving the secondary. This can take some time.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
JJYamahaG2
Not Yet Wild

Engine is idling at whatever a 420cc clone idles out of the box. I turned the screw on the carb both ways and one way would turn the idle up and the other way didn't turn it down. The sheaves aren't closing in on the belt at idle, just when I rev it up. So ideally on a properly worn and functioning belt and clutch set up the belt just lightly bounces/slips on the center shaft of the primary?
Old 01-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

U could possibly have the belt to tight u should have like 1"-2" or up and down movement in the belt at rest in between the to clutches
chevydmax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yes a properly set up belt will slip on the center shaft. Dmax good call, on a new belt you need to loosen it up a bit til it slips on the shaft. Once it wears in you can tighten it back up. Like he said 2" deflection is max.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
JJYamahaG2
Not Yet Wild

Yeah I've used the 1-2" rule that I picked up on this forum when setting the engine up. I'll try moving the engine back a little more and see how it works out
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps