lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
richie
ZZGONE

E-Z-GO

Default Briggs v-twin question

First off,this forum is awesome!Newbie here.I've been looking for a while and finally decided to post.
I got my hands on a 14 horse v-twin(free!) and decided to go bigger.Is anyone running a remote oil filter kit on thier twin? I found the part number and was thinking about getting one.Is there any clearance problems?Also,I might have a 16/18 horse lined up and was wondering if the block mounting holes were the same on the bottom.I would hate to build a motor plate and then have to change everything later.Is anyone out there selling a kit minus the motor,say plate,clutches,belt etc?Thanks in advance!
richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Briggs v-twin question

Welcome to BGW Richie!

Do yourself a favor and try to go ahead and get the 18...you wont regret it. As far as the other question's I cannot answer them. I haven't had mine for very long but it has a remote filter and has no clearance issues at all.

Oh, I do know that no one sells the motor plate by itself. Reason being when you start throwing a bunch of parts together and it doesn't fit the blame always seems to fall on the guy who built the motor plate when thats really not the case. (it's been asked many times)
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
shawn.m
Gone Wild

I think that the 14hp block is smaller than the 16-23hp twins.

check my build thread I have the exact mounting bolt pattern for the 16-23hp blocks

You can get most of everything from CPP who is in FL close to you. Tom is sensitive (rightly so!) about giving out the mounting plate that he builds. he is still a great resource. My personal advice is, call tom tell him what you are doing . BUY PARTS FROM HIM and then ask some more questions.

we need to know what cart you are putting the engine in.
shawn.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
richie
ZZGONE

E-Z-GO

it's a 93 ezgo marathon gas(295cc).I do not have the 18 yet,still trying to get it.Either way,14 or 18 has to be better than the stock motor.I still have to get it stripped down to the frame yet.I plan on going with a 5" lift, 22" tires.I had a 94 marathon before but this one I want to do right.Thanks for the welcome!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Welcome!!!

Get us some pics!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

I'm not real sure you can get a kit for a marathon, I believe you'll have to use the plate that the 295 is mounted on or make one. This is due to the way the swingarm/engine cradle is, I've never seen an aftermarket vtwin one for a marathon. I had though about doing that to a marathon based cart I have, it looks like you could just drill new holes to mount whatever engine you wanted in there. You will have to lift it depending on how tall you engine ends up being for clearence issues. (todwil) has a vtwin marathon cart, maybe he can shed some light on the subject.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
richie
ZZGONE

E-Z-GO

That was weird,you beat me to it.I was just about to post that.I looked and couldn't find a plate set for that cart.I have some 12" wide channel I can cut it out of.I build a lot of my own stuff so it shouldn't be a problem.I have to get the body stripped off and I will go from there.i was looking at the rear of this thing and apparently it got hit or hit something in the rear left.The rear left frame horn is bent where the bumper was.I may have to rebuild the back.I plan on putting a hitch front and rear anyways like my first cart.

What clutch would I use for the motor? Isn't the stck clutch tapered?
Old 07-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
richie
ZZGONE

E-Z-GO

Shawn, I read some of your post.Does the yamaha drive clutch fit onto the briggs crankshaft? I have access to one if it does.Nice build posting by the way.Thanks,Richie
Old 07-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
BIG DOG
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys whats up. Im also new in the forum, and its great .But was wonderig if anyone could help.I bought an ez go txt I believe about three months ago.It was a peice of junk when I got it, me and my 15 year old made it look bad ***.We painted it,lifted it and put in a nice stereo system.It has the original 9hp engine, I just today bought a briggs and stratton 14 hp motor for $200bucks I checked online and they go for about $1200 bucks. So im wonderig if this was a good deal.My question is what do I need to install it and is it something easy to do for a new B?
BIG DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
shawn.m
Gone Wild

richie the yamaha clutch is a tapered and the briggs is not. you would have bore out the yamaha clutch to 1" to make it fit

Bigdog.
lots of post on how to do this. I have lots of pictures and how tos in my build thread. Go read that and then ask questions. A lot of your questions will be solved by reading by build and other builds
shawn.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!