lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Engine Rev Limiter

High rpm have always concerned me. With all the talk about governors - flywheels - max speeds you've got me thinking real hard. Using the carts original transaxle governor will control the max speed you can safely go. I think you could accidentally over rev the engine even with the axle governor hooked up given the right situation. This engine revs so fast the torque converter doesn't have time to react. I want to protect my engine from ME. I leave out the driveway and its at 4 grand instantly and I pull out of it. I've looked at all types of rev limiters and think I found what I want. I'm going to contact them and see if this will work with a mower magneto coil. Let me know what you think.

http://www.etcrevlimiters.net/2008/0...pm-swtich.html
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Engine Rev Limiter

We all should have put up the cash for the Equus 8080 and used the shift light to either ground the coil or trigger a relay with a solenoid to close the choke. A possible situation would be pulling hard and snap an axle or input shaft and probably would be Kaboom with the engine.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:02 AM   #3
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

It is going to be difficult for me to keep it under 4000 rpm for 20 hours. I would go rev-limiter except I am afraid of giving myself whiplash from going wot to limiter kicking in.
BrutalSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:39 AM   #4
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
High rpm have always concerned me. With all the talk about governors - flywheels - max speeds you've got me thinking real hard. Using the carts original transaxle governor will control the max speed you can safely go. I think you could accidentally over rev the engine even with the axle governor hooked up given the right situation. This engine revs so fast the torque converter doesn't have time to react. I want to protect my engine from ME. I leave out the driveway and its at 4 grand instantly and I pull out of it. I've looked at all types of rev limiters and think I found what I want. I'm going to contact them and see if this will work with a mower magneto coil. Let me know what you think.

http://www.etcrevlimiters.net/2008/0...pm-swtich.html
This may be the answer to my dilemma of wanting to limit the speed of my cart. Trouble is I didn't see a price on this.
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you are getting too much rpm and you are not at high speed, you need a better clutch or tune it or something. Sleds run all day with a redline and never go over, they go right to it every time you gas it though.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
1chrisapple
Getting Wild

Have u tried this out yet?
1chrisapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

In The end they weren't able to help cause they wouldn't commit to saying it would work without a bunch of testing. I have sense found another angle to a rev limiter. It's called an rpm switch -- it has 2 windows of operation -- normally open or normally closed. I haven't tried one yet but will before I get much further.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEGS-Perfor...dVc1he&vxp=mtr
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Simplest thing I can think of is fab up a cut out in the throttle linkage that would close it part way when activated. It would simply close the carb ~half way or to half the travel when you hit top rpm, then come back on. It would be like a governor but electronic, and only active at max rpm. No backfires, no driveline shock, it would be all good. If you limit air flow before or after the carb, or in the exhaust, you are causing mixture issues or heat. After the carb may work but could be restrictive normally and hard to do. Ignition limiters are made to not be used much, they are not nice when they come on.

Many of those system put a spring on the throttle pull, then restrict it with the governor when needed. Maybe use a door lock actuator to pull the throttle back to half (adjustable) when you hit max rpm with your rpm sensor. With normal throttle the spring never elongates, only when actuator forces it back. Should be able to do it and still have good throttle feel at pedal.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I still think using the Equus 8080 with the shift light circuit triggering a solenoid to chop the throttle is a simple reliable way to do it with vert little fab work and near assured results.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #10
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I still think using the Equus 8080 with the shift light circuit triggering a solenoid to chop the throttle is a simple reliable way to do it with vert little fab work and near assured results.
I like rays idea, but instead of a solenoid why not have the light trigger a relay and just shoot a negative pulse to the coil.. correct me if I'm wrong, i'm definitely no electrician..
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps