lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
billon
Not Yet Wild

Red face v glide 90 Club car problems

Hello all,

I need your help. I have just purchased a used what I was told to be a 1990 Club car. Under the seat i have a v glide switch as near as I can tell that connects to a master solenoid and then 4 solenoids with a resistor wire connecting them.
48 Volt system .

The guy I purchased the cart from has modified it from a controller system which he said always gave problems to its current state. He told me that the only thing that could go wrong now was the $40 solenoids which are easy to obtain. Cart was really fast until a few days ago. It seemed to have no low end torque but would still move and then you could hear the 5th solenoid kick in near the bottom of the pedal and it would nearly pull the tires off the ground. Now seems the 5th has burnt out. Is there a way to check these and see which is bad. At low speeds the resistors get glowing red hot is this normal. No top end now. From the prints on this page it looks like a standard V glide setup. My guess by listening to the solenoids is that 2,3,4 were burnt when I got it and 5 just followed. Now only have 1 and it is not enough to push the big tires.

The cart has a lift kit and 22 inch X 10 inch mud tires. Could this be the problems with low end. Batteries are fairly new 2007 8v's Wires look good.
FR switch seems to have a loose connection. Charges up just fine.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill
billon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: v glide 90 Club car problems

don,t take offence to this as none is meant.......if it was a 1990 it had to start as a 36 volt cart but my doing away with the controller and going to a 5 solenoid setup is just plain nuts completly backwards.........and doing this to make it 48 volts i have never ever heard of this......you sure they are 8 volt batteries? count the water fill holes 3 holes is a six volt and 4 holes is an 8 volt..........that being said lets start like this jack the rear up get wheels off ground........than turn key on put in gear, slowly push pedal down the 1st ckick is the master solenoid its the furthest one to the left and won,t have a resistor coil mounted to it.......that one is main power..........after that from left to right are speeds 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th/reverse so after the 1st click as you slowly push pedal down you should hear a real faint click ( micro switch ) followed by a louder click ( solenoid ) if you hear both of them at that point wheels should slowly start turning ( 1st speed ) as your pressing pedal you should hear another set of clicks faint and than louder that would be 2nd speed and so on until you get to 4th speed.........all the small wires from the solenoids should go to a box mounted on the frame drivers side where there are 5 micro switches and the 4 speed solenoids should have coils mounted on top of each one they need to be in good shape and none of the coils touching one another and they need to be clean.......the resistor coils will glow red when cart is running slow its disapating heat as it should.....so if your pressing the pedal and its throwing you back in the seat than yes you have either a few bad micro switchs and or solenoids.....i would buy 3 of them at least problem is what voltage solenoids to buy 36 volt or 48 volt if this is a half assed 48 volt cart with 36 volt solenoids thats why they are burning up, i,m surprised the resistor coils arn,t melting.............what does the end look like on the charger? where it plugs into the cart........is it round with 3 pins or is it a crows foot type just 2 angled spade type ends........cripes we need to start somewhere but i have to say you might have a nightmare on your hands cause this thing sounds like it was done arse ackwards................trying not to cuss...........try cleaning a few solenoids off you should be able to read if they are 36 or 48 volt and the type of charger plug end that will give us an idea..........good luck and we,ll try......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
JRay
**** guzzler
Club Car

A stock 90 cart would have a vglide and resistors. I am thinking that cart is older then 90, whats the serial number?
JRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
billon
Not Yet Wild

The more i read the more I agree with you Shadowman. thanks for the quick reply. I have a mess on my hands.

I have double checked the batteries. I have 6 4 hole 8v batteries. 2007 models per the stamp. us batteries is the mfg.

At this point I can not find the serial number the entire cart has been painted with black rhino liner.

The solenoids I have are arranged like this the first one on the drivers side in on it side. no resistor coils are attached. the next 2 solenoids look to be short and the last 2 seem to have coils attached. and are taller.

Would the serial number be stamped on the frame somewhere. It appears to not be
under the passenger side glove box as the other post suggest.

The charger is mounted on the cart and straight wired to the cart. Also painted with black rhino liner. the old plug connector not used but still there is a angle 2 plug spade type design.

Obviously by now you understand i am novice when it comes to carts. But the guy told me it had a speed controller and he has spent thousand of dollars on the cart in the transition and the controller kept going out so he converted to a v glide. Not sure why.

It will be the weekend before I can jack up and check/ remove the solenoids. I will keep you posted as to the progress.

Thank you very much for the advice.

Bill
Old 10-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
billon
Not Yet Wild

PS: I bought the cart with an 1993 ezgo the runs great paid 3000 for both carts. Ezgo has 4 seats the Club car has a diamond plate bed and mag wheels. I though I was getting a great deal. 2 carts for 3k both with fairly new batteries.

Bill
Old 10-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i feel for ya cause i think you might be in over your head with this thing.......i just can,t beleive they went from controller to resistor cart that just dosn,t make any sense at all.......its all backwards.........and now you have mismatched solenoids.........i wonder where they spent the thousands of dollars cause what your posting it sure isn,t on the cart......................BTW welcome and good luck with it.we are here to help if we can......................
Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We need to know the serial # of the cart. Do you know where it is located?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

other than the dash area i don,t know...one way to get close does it have an oiol filter? where is carb mounted center or off to the left some.......................
Old 10-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Uh I hate to say this, BUT an electric cart won`t have an oil filter or a carb.

I`ve been reading the posts and this is really screwy. A Vglide that then goes to solenoids and THEN to the resistors. Sounds like he is using the v glide in place of the old micro switch box. Looks to me it needs to be rewired to the v glide and resistors and do away with the solenoids. No matter what he has a mess on his hands.
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH someone slap me i have no idea what i was thinking yeah i would love to find an oil filter on an elec. cart that would be something huh hey maybe even a carb.......they are just so darn hidden thats why we have so many problems....................lol...............were telling people to check all their battery cables and its the fuel filter thats plugged up...............sorry guys this is just so funny..............i gotta quit staying up late and typing in the dark...........................

Tags
club car, electric, v glide
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car