lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
tman01
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 club car clicking when turned on

I have a 96 48v club car that does not go in fwd or reverse although the buzzer does work. When I turn on the key the solenoid clicks on without touching the pedal and holds for about 5 seconds then drops out. I have swapped used parts from a parts cart including controller, both solenoids, and computer with the same results. I have not swapped the potentiometer but did probe them to compare resistance and both seem the same. I have never noticed any electric cart I have used click when the ignition key is turned to on, is this a clue or am I nutz? The parts off the parts cart could also be junk as it is a parts cart after all. I was thinking now it could be the potentiometer as I seem to remember being told that the controller wont allow the cart to work if it does not get the proper initial feedback from the pot to prevent a runaway.
tman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 96 club car clicking when turned on

The key on, solenoid click then drop-out on timer is 100% normal for my cart. BUT - I have a '96 Regen 1 (with rocker switch F/R and no Run/Tow). What type/version is the cart your working on? There is a wire from the OBC to the controller that (if failed) will prevent the cart from moving.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
tman01
Not Yet Wild

Yes I have the same regen 1 you have. I have never seen any cart with the clicking and timer drop on the solenoid like that. I did swap a OBC from another parts cart with no luck. Thanks for the input, you helped some as I now know the solenoid issue is normal.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

If I understand it correctly, the timed out solenoid is Regen 1's version of Run/Tow....the first click being "Run". Even though it times out, when you press the Go pedal - that same solenoid re-engages. With the key off - Regen 1 is in Tow mode.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
Shotgunwilly870@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

I'm having the exact same problem with a 96 that has the rocker switch too (I just got it the other day)its clicking but no go at all, I haven't dug into it too much yet but I did have it up on jack stands so it doesn't take off on me I've tried a known good motor hooked up to my wiring no luck I swapped one of the solenoids no go still I have power at all 4 terminals on the motor is this odd? and nothing's sparking or getting hot this is my first electric cart and its bugging the hell out of me please help!!!
Shotgunwilly870@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

The symptoms you describe (and some good troubleshooting suggestions) is covered in this link.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Not Yet Wild

I'm up and going the single wire connector located next to the potentiometer connector just inside of the battery compartment had a singe momentary button that for some reason when pressed turned on the obc or something that made everything work I think someone just bypassed the ignition switch I'm not sure but it works so I'm happy now thanks for the help
Old 07-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
tman01
Not Yet Wild

Well I opened up the regen 1 controller and all 4 mosfets were blown, checked the diode and it is also blown. I am in the process of rebuilding the controller and can source the mosfets easy enough but am having a difficult time finding the 183NQ100R or equivalent rectifier diode that needs to be replaced. Any suggestions what to use as a replacement diode would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Not Yet Wild

Well I'm broken again everything was working great now it won't turn on again the solenoids are clicking but no go I can't hear the controller powering up anymore does that mean its junk?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

One thing you can try is to reset the controller by un-doing your main battery negative cable, and reconnecting it 5 minutes later. Some people have tried that and it works.

Otherwise, it could be a bad/loose connection (you can unplug various connectors, spray them with alcohol, and reseat them) - then leave the car sit about an hour before trying again. Or it could be the controller. There are not many people left in this world willing to troubleshoot or fix Regen 1. There are conversion/replacement kits available from FSIP.

Also - that mysterious switch you found may not have been an anti-theft device, it might have been installed to do exactly that - to reset the OBC circuit or controller.

Tags
48v, club car 1996, potentiometer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car