lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
acjb
Not Yet Wild

Default SOC reads 61.6 and charger still running???

After finding my issue with no power (blown fuse) I went for a ride. Voltage is about 50 on flat road. Started up a big hill and the voltage dropped to 42.6. Rode for about 5-10 min and decided to plug it up for the night. Went back down stairs about 3 hours later and the SOC read 61.6 and the charger was at about 5 amps and still on. Checked all the batteries with multi meter and they were all at about 10.6 with the exception of one which was 8.32 while on the charger. Should the charger have turned off by then? I tried to reset the OBC with no luck. I can never get the reverse buzzer to sound. Anyway I unplugged it and let it sit for about 20 min and came back down. Now the SOC reads 51.6 and all the batteries are 8.6ish. While charging I could hear the batteries bubbling and two seem to be pushing a little of water out of them. I thought the charger cut off at 58.6 volts? Batteries have plenty of water. Could the OBC be bad and not turning the charger off or is that one battery causing this? I am new to this so sorry for all the questions, but thanks for the answers.
acjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
hanny
Getting Wild

Default Re: SOC reads 61.6 and charger still running???

Quote:
Originally Posted by acjb View Post
After finding my issue with no power (blown fuse) I went for a ride. Voltage is about 50 on flat road. Started up a big hill and the voltage dropped to 42.6. Rode for about 5-10 min and decided to plug it up for the night. Went back down stairs about 3 hours later and the SOC read 61.6 and the charger was at about 5 amps and still on. Checked all the batteries with multi meter and they were all at about 10.6 with the exception of one which was 8.32 while on the charger. Should the charger have turned off by then? I tried to reset the OBC with no luck. I can never get the reverse buzzer to sound. Anyway I unplugged it and let it sit for about 20 min and came back down. Now the SOC reads 51.6 and all the batteries are 8.6ish. While charging I could hear the batteries bubbling and two seem to be pushing a little of water out of them. I thought the charger cut off at 58.6 volts? Batteries have plenty of water. Could the OBC be bad and not turning the charger off or is that one battery causing this? I am new to this so sorry for all the questions, but thanks for the answers.
i think you may have reset the OBC and it doesnt know the amount needed to charge. It hsappened to me and i just used it charged it twice and things went back to normal. I wouldnt let it over charge too long tho
hanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here's what I see, the voltage drop to 42v you reported is alarmingly low for a 50v pack.
The normal voltage cut off for a 48v charger is about 63v, it was getting close to done when you cut it off. The good thing you did was to check all the batteries under high charge and note the low one. That battery is your problem child. That one needs replacing. It is the one that went way down on the hill when you saw 42v, it was probably at 2 or 4v right then....

Recharging with this less active battery in the pack makes the rest of the pack overcharge... Change it out now, continued charging with one bad battery will damage the rest of the group.

I hope this helps.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

that 1 batery can effect how charger operates, as mentioned that one needs to go......the charger is trying to compensate for that battery..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
that 1 batery can effect how charger operates, as mentioned that one needs to go......the charger is trying to compensate for that battery..........................
All the charger sees is total pack voltage, so if one battery is low or not coming up then, the others have to come up higher to compensate... once all the battery voltage adds up to the cut off point the charger stops ... not until then and it does not know or care how that voltage total is reached.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
acjb
Not Yet Wild

So the fact that they were all like 8.6 after removing the charger does not mean much correct? I gues I could check them each under load and see what they show right?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
acjb
Not Yet Wild

Ok got a chance to check them each under load. Here is what I got from my multi meter going up a pretty steep hill...

7.0 on the one that is suspect. 7.5-7.6 on all other batteries. Here is what really concerns me. The positive lead to the one that read 7.0 was so hot it melted the insulation on the alligator clip I was using. Granted it was the kind with a small wire and small leads but none of the the other batteries did this. I am no pro at this, but that can't be right. The negative lead on the battery connected to this one was also warm, but not too hot to touch. Any wisdom on this one. I really don't want to buy all new batteries if this is avoidable. One or two I can stomach. Thanks for all the insight. This is a great forum..
Old 07-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
All the charger sees is total pack voltage, so if one battery is low or not coming up then, the others have to come up higher to compensate... once all the battery voltage adds up to the cut off point the charger stops ... not until then and it does not know or care how that voltage total is reached.
scotty hate to disagree with ya on this buddy but i do.......it reads voltage in every battery or it should as i understand it and 1 battery can make it wacky........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
acjb
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the help...I think I found the culprit with the hot post. The cable end looks pretty janky. Looks like it has corroded in the past and not replaced. The hole is wallowed out and it is pitted. So I moved it across to the other side and the heat followed. Think it is time for new cables. I bet this is why that voltage reading while on charge was lower than the rest also. When I did this I did not see as much of a voltage drop as before.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
scotty hate to disagree with ya on this buddy but i do.......it reads voltage in every battery or it should as i understand it and 1 battery can make it wacky........................
Shadow, you and Scottyb are saying the same thing.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car