lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
manship1856
Not Yet Wild

Default Get rid of DCS f/r switch?

Hello all.

I'm sure this is something that's been asked, but I can't find an answer from a google search or a search of the site. Maybe it's just so basic everyone already knows the answer. I don't know. I'm learning about wiring and electricity, so please excuse my ignorance.

I want to get rid of the f/r switch next to my knee ('97 ezgo DCS). I get how the current f/r switch works. It contacts the micro switch which moves the current on down the line. My understanding is the micro switch is mechanical in nature. So...

Can't I just wire either side of the current setup to a toggle switch (through a relay maybe for the sake of not running that current through the switch)? Am I making this harder than it is?

Anybody who's done this, please chime in. I'm curious about your experience.

Thanks in advance!
manship1856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Get rid of DCS f/r switch?

Look at your F&R. You'll see, even in stock form, the contacts, (lugs), are pretty sizeable. I don't think you want the kind of current they were built for running through your standard toggle.
Now, that said, if you study the newer models, with the toggle switch, you might be able to upgrade that system to your older one. Some of the experienced folks on here might be able to respond to that.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can convert it to a PDS rocker switch, the diagrams etc were all posted this week here someplace?
But the question is why would you want to go to all that trouble when the DCS switch is trouble free and easy to operate? Looks I guess?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
manship1856
Not Yet Wild

Excellent question Scotty. I don't have a coherent answer other than I've always liked the toggle. I figured if it wasn't a big deal I would switch it out while I had the thing torn down. Evidently it is not such a simple fix. That's why boards like this were invented. Saving idiots like me time, money, and headaches.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by manship1856 View Post
Excellent question Scotty. I don't have a coherent answer other than I've always liked the toggle. I figured if it wasn't a big deal I would switch it out while I had the thing torn down. Evidently it is not such a simple fix. That's why boards like this were invented. Saving idiots like me time, money, and headaches.

Thanks for the replies.

LOL...... I just sold both of my DCS carts this week. We used them for a couple of years on the ranch without missing a lick
Great carts but, Momma wanted something newer..... So, well I'm sure you know how this goes.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
manship1856
Not Yet Wild

I know all too well the plight of the married man. If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. That's how it rolls in my household.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO