lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
donloftus
Not Yet Wild

Default Headlights and fuse problem

I have a 2007 EZ-GO ST Sport gas golf cart and I'm having problems with the headlight fuse glowing. This is a stock machine and nothing has been changed since I bought it new. The original headlight fuse blew several months ago and I tried a 15 amp automotive fuse and it blew out after the headlights were on for only a minute or two. I figured a wire must be shorting out against the frame or something.

I finally got around to checking with a meter. I checked for continuity between the fuse block and the switch, it's OK. I check for a connection to ground and didn't find one. I put in a new 15 amp fuse and the headlights come on but the connections on both ends of the fuse get hot. I found the old original fuse and it is a 15 amp 32v fuse and is a much thinner wire than the fuse I replaced it with. Is the problem with the fuse rating (can't find any into on the new fuse except that it's 15 amp, no AGC or anything). I don't think I have a short or the fuse would blow immediately. I'm wondering if the fuse is getting too hot because it is not of the proper rating. Does EZ-GO use special 32 amp fuses?
donloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Headlights and fuse problem

IMO, you've got a short somewhere. I would pull the wiring harness loose at the headlights and pull the bulbs out of everything else and see what happens when you turn on the switch. I'm guessing it will blow.

Just a dumb question, if you don't turn on the light switch, will the fuse blow ? If it does, problem is between the fb and the switch.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
donloftus
Not Yet Wild

I worked on the cart this morning and took your advice by disconnection the headlights first. I put in a fuse and it did not blow so I plugged in the driver side head light and turned it on. It came on and the fuse did not get hot. I plugged in the second light and the fuse blew. So then I disconnected all the lights again and this time only plugged in the passenger side light. I put in a fuse and tried again. It blew the fuse again. So, I got my multimeter and started checking. I had good continuity from the fuse block to the ignition/light switch but was not getting a good reading from the switch to the headlight plugs. I connected the meter from the blue/white wire coming off the switch and to ground. I got a reading that fluxuated from about 1200 ohms down to continuity (no connection). I would try wiggling wires, pushing on the steering column, shaking the cart and the readings would change. I started disconnecting a lot of the zip ties and looking for a chaffed wire but didn't see anything obvious. Very frustrating.

I got on line and found a wiring diagram and realized that there are wires that go to the back of the card for tail lights. One of these wires could be touching, so I cut all the zip ties, rolled up the wires and stuck them behind the battery and below the fuse box. That seemed to clear up the meter reading and I showed no connection to ground. I put in a new fuse (finally found some SFE 14 amp fuses) and reconnected the headlights ... both of them. Turned on the lights, they came on and the fuse did NOT get hot. It looks like the problem has been solved, but I haven't driving the cart yet with the lights on to see if they short out while under power and bouncing around the property. I'll report back in the the problem comes back.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Just out of curiosity, do you have the factory harness/tail lights ? and is it possible you have on the tail both the running and brake lights on ? If both filaments are lit on both sides that is about 8 amps ((27/10w X 2) / 12vt). That plus two Halogen headlights, not sure of the wattage but I would bet they are at least 6 amps together is gonna be over your 14 amp fuse.

Just a thought..
Old 11-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
donloftus
Not Yet Wild

kgsc, I only have the wiring harness going to the back of the cart, no actual lights. The only working lights are the headlights. I have turn signals next to the headlights but they are not hooked up to anything and never come on. With only the headlights the 14 amp fuse should be OK. Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donloftus View Post
kgsc, I only have the wiring harness going to the back of the cart, no actual lights. The only working lights are the headlights. I have turn signals next to the headlights but they are not hooked up to anything and never come on. With only the headlights the 14 amp fuse should be OK. Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.
you are welcome, glad it is not a "big" cart. Worst case, rerun all the hl/tl wires
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO