lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default State of Charge?

My 2008 Precedent is a 48V 4X12 system and came from a golf fleet. The batteries are originals. I don't golf but drive my cart all around my farm. It seems to hold a charge fine but the total pack reading after a charge is 49.6V and that indicates only a 75% charge. It does go on the charger every night. Is that about normal for 2 1/2 year, well used batteries? Each readings are 12.40, 12.43, 12.38 and 12.41. They all load test fine and are very clean and kept up to the proper fluid level. I don't have a SG reading. Just want to know if this is about normal.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: State of Charge?

Looks like number 3 battery ( 12.38V ) is getting weak and this will not allow for full charge. Get a single float hydrometer with temperature correction ( NOT A MULTI FLOAT antifeeze tester ) from any auto parts store and test each cell and compare with chart in STICKIES "State Of Charge Readings"
You are aware that Club Car has dropped 12 volt batterys and has a conversion kit available to go to 8 volt batterys? if your batterys are getting weak now would be the time to do change over.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Just for grins ~ draw them down to 40% once and see if they don't come back up higher? You may be recharging too much. They do not have a memory. But we had one set that seemed to develop a pattern this summer.... we did the draw down test and it charged back up fully. that person was not letting the charger finish but plugging it in often..... anyway you could try this and see what happens. Those voltage readings look fairly even to me. I don't see any red flags. Just batteries sitting at 75%.
Also, check the pack voltage as the charge nears the end of it's cycle and see if the charger is taking the batteries all the way up to 58 volts ..... if not, it could be an obc problem? Try another charger and recheck to confirm.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Old Mec, I do plan on a conversion when I need new batteries but these will last me for now. It has never left me stranded. ScottyB, I will try the 40% thing this weekend. I too thought they all looked pretty even in voltage and I don't usually let them get that low. I wish I had time to try out a round of golf. I have a new set of Taylor Made Burner irons and woods that I have had for almost a year and they have never seen a single round! These darn kids take up all of your free time!

Thanks
Old 09-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

You are in luck as the 2008 precedent can be changed to 6-8volt batteries.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

As Scotty mentioned, you may have an OBC problem.
Try putting the individual batteries on a 12v automotive charger and see if you can bring them up to full charge. You don't have to disconnect anything, just put the charger on and let it charge each battery for about 4 hours.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
As Scotty mentioned, you may have an OBC problem.
Try putting the individual batteries on a 12v automotive charger and see if you can bring them up to full charge. You don't have to disconnect anything, just put the charger on and let it charge each battery for about 4 hours.
What amp setting should I put the auto charger on? 2, 20? If it is an OBC issue, can this one be reset? What all do I need to do a 6 bat conversion?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
What amp setting should I put the auto charger on? 2, 20?
20 amps is fine. I'll let someone with more CC knowledge speak to the OBC issue.
There is a conversion lit for the 6x8v for the Precedent and may include a new OBC. TahoeDawgZ71 may be your guy for this, he has the PN's.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Hey guys here is the installation instructions for the conversion, I am told it comes with everything to make it happen, I have asked for a detailed parts list but have yet to get it. I am glad I saw this post It reminds me that I need to email them again.

LH
Attached Files
File Type: pdf precedent conversion.pdf (6.55 MB, 17 views)
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHusker View Post
Hey guys here is the installation instructions for the conversion, I am told it comes with everything to make it happen, I have asked for a detailed parts list but have yet to get it. I am glad I saw this post It reminds me that I need to email them again.

LH

AM1275201 - Precedent 12V TO 8V Conversion Kit - $345
103368401 - Precedent Electric Battery Bucket Assembly - $71.10

Conversion package, when part numbers listed above are ordered together, includes all components and installation instruction necessary to convert a Precedent golf car to the 8-volt battery system. Components included are battery wires, hold downs, component mounting panel and shield, wire harness, charger receptacle, 4.0 OBC and safety decals. Batteries are not included.

Colbyntx

The OBC on your 2008 Precedent is not one of the ones that has had problems in the past. What Scotty mentioned is a good idea and if you have a volt meter hooked up while charging your batteries you should see near the end of your charge cycle the voltage go to over 60 volts... Mine hits over 62 volts so don't be scared. My batteries are usually 12.7+ after charge and pack is over the 50.9 mark.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car