lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #1
monacayankee
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 Columbia Car Par questions

Hello, I recently bought a 1988 Columbia Car Par and I am trying to get it running. So far I have drained the gas tank and all the fuel lines and replaced the fuel pump. I am having some issues getting it to run.

It will only attempt to start when reverse is selected. I have looked at the diagram for the solenoids and am going to test those later after I get the motor to run in reverse at least. Is it mostly likely a bad solenoid for the forward circuit or could it be that the wiring needs the connections cleaned?

What is the little grey box underneath the starter solenoid that has a green wire going to it and a yellow one coming out to the starter solenoid? Its riveted on. The yellow wire pulled out of the connector when I was messing with it and the nut wont unscrew because it's rusted. I just ran the green wire to the yellow directly. Will that mess anything up?

What is the best procedure to clean the carburetor? It is a Walbro carb.

Can I get the solenoids at lowes or someplace?

Thanks everyone.

It has the five solenoid system.
monacayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
monacayankee
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1988 Columbia Car Par questions

Update: Cleaned the wiring at the solenoids and now the starter will turn the motor in forward.

Cleaned the carb and got the motor to start. It runs but does not have power and wont rev up and move the cart. Kinda pops and sputters

Going to get a new spark plug tomorrow. I cleaned the one that was in it and it fired up better afterwards. Also going to take the carb off again.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Got it. A couple of points to your posts:

The little gray box under the solenoid is a circuit breaker. Essentially, it's a fuse for the entire cart. It's ok to bypass it for short periods but it really should be in place.

You don't want to get any old solenoid for a car as those aren't "continual duty" solenoids. Golf cart solenoids are different from cars in that they stay on when the cart is running whereas car ones turn off once the car is started.

No power can be a lot of things ranging from timing to plug to "not enough fuel to run good". Start with the easy thing first which is the plug and see what that gets you.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I would also run a compression test a this is many times why one of these carts fails to operate when all seems well. P.S. The finger over the spark plug hole is not a compression test. You really need to 90 psi or above for the engine to run properly.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Good call, Ray.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I wasted a lot of time on tuning issues not realizing that most of the time it was either a blocked up muffler or low compression. Also it is really easy to change the rings and or the piston BEFORE you damage the cylinder. Again if you break a ring it will usually find a port and tear things up.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #7
monacayankee
Not Yet Wild

Well, I could not make it to the advance auto before they closed to rent the compression tester. Will do that tomorrow guys, thanks.

The cart is running somewhat right now. It has about %50 power. Have to ease into the gas to get it to take off and move and it will do about 15 on flat and 6 up hill. Also have to be careful not to press the gas to much or it will bog down but if you control it right, its alright. Revs up all the way with the tires off the ground no problem.

I pulled the carb off again and have it soaking in a pinesol and water solution. Hopefully this does the trick. Also put a new plug in it. NGK BP4HS

I've gone from only trying to start in reverse, to having the cart move under its own power in both directions in only a few days so I'm happy. I'm rushing to get it running for vacation Friday Haha.

Tomorrow its fix the fuel line going into the tank (new grommet), put carb back on to see how it runs, then compression test if it runs the same. All it takes is MONEY right?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by monacayankee View Post
All it takes is MONEY right?
Yep, and an incredible amount of patience and persistence at times.

One thing to think about with your cart. It's somewhat common with these carts that have sat around for awhile for the secondary clutch (the one attached to the rear end not the one attached to motor) to freeze up a bit so that it doesn't open / close as it should under load. When the engine tries to rev up the clutch doesn't open right and holds the engine back. You may want to lube that clutch up with regard to spraying some lube all around that clutch's axle while working it. If all else fails it may eventually need replaced but do the rest of your planned easier, and cheaper, work first.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
monacayankee
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Yep, and an incredible amount of patience and persistence at times.

One thing to think about with your cart. It's somewhat common with these carts that have sat around for awhile for the secondary clutch (the one attached to the rear end not the one attached to motor) to freeze up a bit so that it doesn't open / close as it should under load. When the engine tries to rev up the clutch doesn't open right and holds the engine back. You may want to lube that clutch up with regard to spraying some lube all around that clutch's axle while working it. If all else fails it may eventually need replaced but do the rest of your planned easier, and cheaper, work first.
Ok I will definitely spray that clutch. The cart sat for 3 years in the grass so some stuff underneath rusted a little bit like the connections to the solenoids.
I guess I will use some chain lube I have laying around.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #10
monacayankee
Not Yet Wild

Got the fuel line fixed. Will try to run again tomorrow.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar