lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
erocksyam
Not Yet Wild

Default Yam G9 runs fine but doesn't charge

I have a G9. Brand new battery and it keeps gradually draining. I always keep the key off when parked and have no lights etc. I charged the battery back and then it will stay charged for 3-4 days but then will die. I figured something has to be draining it or maybe the starter generator is not charging it back?? Any way to check if the starter generator is charging?
erocksyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Yam G9 runs fine but doesn't charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by erocksyam View Post
I have a G9. Brand new battery and it keeps gradually draining. I always keep the key off when parked and have no lights etc. I charged the battery back and then it will stay charged for 3-4 days but then will die. I figured something has to be draining it or maybe the starter generator is not charging it back?? Any way to check if the starter generator is charging?
You could do a "search" in this section and I'm shure it would be covered, but I'll try to help here. First, you'll need a volt meter. With your car in nuetral or jacked up, put the volt meter on the battery, should read 12 plus volts. Now start and run the engine at a medium to high rpm, the voltage reading should be 14.5 to 15.5 volts. If not in spec's, first unplug the red and green wires comeing out of the starter/generator, use your volt meter on ohm's and you should have about 5 ohms (that means your charging coils are good). If that checks good, use your volt meter on "continuity" and check the wireharness leads (from the starter/generator "red and green" wires) to the automatic voltage regulator (just right of the battery on the plastic inner rear fender). If all checks good...time for a new volatge regulator. Whew...I'm tired, but hoped it helped find your problem. Good luck and let us know what you find.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The testing procedure has been posted many times before here, but I can tell you the small wires on the generator are for charging, and the voltage regulator is on the rear fender as is a couple fuses (opposite the clutches). Check the fuses and wiring to each before you do anything. Fuses and wiring problems are common in these old carts, but that is good because its cheap to fix.

This should be similar: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...runs-down.html

And the wiring diagram should be in a sticky post above. In general put a DMM meter on the battery and it should charge at fast idle and raise the voltage a little. If not test the generator, if that is good and fuses are good/etc then odds are the voltage reg is bad.

Edit: Smallblock beat me to it anyway lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
You could do a "search" in this section and I'm shure it would be covered, but I'll try to help here. First, you'll need a volt meter. With your car in nuetral or jacked up, put the volt meter on the battery, should read 12 plus volts. Now start and run the engine at a medium to high rpm, the voltage reading should be 14.5 to 15.5 volts. If not in spec's, first unplug the red and green wires comeing out of the starter/generator, use your volt meter on ohm's and you should have about 5 ohms (that means your charging coils are good). If that checks good, use your volt meter on "continuity" and check the wireharness leads (from the starter/generator "red and green" wires) to the automatic voltage regulator (just right of the battery on the plastic inner rear fender). If all checks good...time for a new volatge regulator. Whew...I'm tired, but hoped it helped find your problem. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Also check the charge contacts that open when the starter circuit is engaged. They should be closed when your in engine run mode.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Also check the charge contacts that open when the starter circuit is engaged. They should be closed when your in engine run mode.
What are these "charge contacts" you speak of?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
erocksyam
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the help guys. haven't got around to trying the voltage regulator, but i will let you know what i find out...........
erocksyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
apacheclay
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
can you elaborate on how to check these contacts please
apacheclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
apacheclay
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

???
apacheclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha