lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
closerpat
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 94 gas club car DS - the electric starter cranks but belt doesn't grab

I checked the plug, gas and compression on the engine, they are all good. The electric starter motor runs and turns the small belt but the drive belt is not grabbing the clutch pulley. Is the belt too loose or should the drive clutch move in and tighten the belt? how does that work? Please explain, thanks.

Last edited by closerpat; 08-18-2010 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: clarifying
closerpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 94 gas club car DS - the electric starter cranks but belt doesn't grab

You need to tighten the starter/gen belt as it has to be tight.If its not it wont start, You need a 9/16 wrench-2 of them and a 1/2 inch to do the job plus a long pry bar to hold it in place while you tighten the bolts.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
closerpat
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 94 gas club car DS - the electric starter cranks but belt doesn't grab

How do you tighten it? I am referring to the drive belt (the thicker one), I don't see how that gets tightened. Also, while we're on the subject, how do you replace the drive belt?

Last edited by closerpat; 08-18-2010 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: clarifying
Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

You need to do it from up top,take the seat off and the rear access panel,The belt can be bought at a local auto parts store.Its just a regular old alternator belt.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
closerpat
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm not talking about the skinny belt that goes from the electric motor to crank the gasoline engine. I am talking about the thicker belt that goes from the aluminum pulley to the rear pulley/clutch assembly. That belt is loose and I am not sure if the belt gets tightened or if it tightens automatically upon start up when the clutch engages. The problem is, I don't know if I have a loose belt or a bad clutch.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

that belt should be loose and the clutches will close as you gas it and as you start slowing down clutches will open.................if this isn,t happening you could have a clutch issue................put cart in maintence mode and take the seat off and watch your clutches as you gas cart........as for replaceing the drive belt ( clutch belt ) you don,t need any tools you jast work it off by hand and same thing to put new belt on, hope this clarifies some of it for you...............................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
closerpat
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thank you, i think that clarifies it. I must have a clutch problem because that belt is not grabbin'. Which one gets replaced, the front or back?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

all depends on which one is bad, hope its the driven clutch ( rear one ) as its the easier of the 2 to change.........if its the drive clutch ( front one ) you,ll need a C.C. clutch puller to get that one off...........................
Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
closerpat
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, are they both reverse threads? Also, why is there so little information on the web about these machines? Should I just break down and buy the repair manual from the dealer?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if your gonna do your own work thats the very 1st thing you should buy.............you,ll never regret it..................................

Tags
clutch belt, gas ds, repair, won't run
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car