lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Hotrod_350
Not Yet Wild

Default How to test a 48V motor???

Does anyone have any idea on how to bench test a 48V electric motor. 4 terminals s1,2 and a1,2. This out of a 96 cc 48V. I would think the a & s represent armature and stator but I'm not certain of the correct bench test method. 1 thing i did notice was i have continuity from the s1,2 terminals to the outter casing-ground and none from the a1,2 - ground.. so the question is should i have any continuity to ground from any of the terminals??? if there is would this be a unintentional short to ground - dead short??? Or should all the terminals armature and stator be insulated from ground?? Anyone anyone???
Hotrod_350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to test a 48V motor???

This can be done easily but, you gotta hold it down. They are very quick and torquey.......might be best to bolt it back in the cart? You can use as little as 12v...
The diagram was posted not too long ago....maybe you could try the search for a series motor testor such.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

You should not be getting continuity between the housing and any of the terminals. Your feild has dead short.

You should not test the motor off the differential. Damage can result.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Hotrod_350
Not Yet Wild

I did have the motor on the cart, I hooked it up like the diagram showed and sparked pretty good which made me look for the short or continuity to ground, I have it on my bench but wanted some comfirmation before sending it to a electrical rebuilder or purchasing a replacement. Any suggestions whether to rebuild my own or purchasing a rebuild/new from CC? Any idea roughly what a new motor would cost?
Old 12-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod_350 View Post
Any suggestions whether to rebuild my own or purchasing a rebuild/new from CC? Any idea roughly what a new motor would cost?
Compare prices between rebuilt and new. A rebuilt is as good as new in most cases. Only thing that remains is the old case and spindle in a quality rebuilt.
dereckbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

One of our site sponsors can rebuild your motor better than it was for less than a new one....email or call EMP http://www.empinc.biz/ Have a nice day
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
Hotrod_350
Not Yet Wild

What i found was the armature had a dead short, I could see the winding had rubbed through the insulation between the windings and the case making the armature go to ground. Which would explan why in my original post I would step on the throttle and would only hear a click, no movement...who would ever have thought to check the motor for a dead short - probably alot but not me.....just wanted to post what I found so if anyone else has the same problem it is of use to you
Old 12-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
Hotrod_350
Not Yet Wild

Sorry, on the above post (no pun intended) I meant Stator had a dead short..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car