lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #1
bigguy9
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Need help where to buy Charger and BMS

Pulled the trigger on 7 leaf batteries for my 08 Precedent (Nissan Leaf Battery G2 Module Lithium Ion 3.5 kWh 500 watt per module (Lot of 7)).

Been reading about the Chargery and Zeva for the charger and BMS, but having a difficult time narrowing down which ones will fit my needs. Also, is there a 'best' place to purchase these?

Any help is appreciated!

Currently have 4x12v Batteries on the way out, Alltrax XCT 500 and 400a Solenoid from ScottyB so looking forward to the performance and distance.
bigguy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Need help where to buy Charger and BMS

I would recommend you PM (talk) to PingEye3 as he has been doing a lot of these and has a great little unit customized and works great. He can help you quickly from Novice to semi-advanced vary quickly, if he is willing to do it. Talk nicely to him, he is a WEALTH of information.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I see you are new and will not have PM capabilities yet. I just PM'd him a link to this thread.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
bigguy9
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you NoleFan! Appreciated.

Been reading the forums for a while now and have learned a lot so far. Really liking the learning process and transformation my cart is taking.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy9 View Post
Pulled the trigger on 7 leaf batteries for my 08 Precedent (Nissan Leaf Battery G2 Module Lithium Ion 3.5 kWh 500 watt per module (Lot of 7)).

Been reading about the Chargery and Zeva for the charger and BMS, but having a difficult time narrowing down which ones will fit my needs. Also, is there a 'best' place to purchase these?

Any help is appreciated!

Currently have 4x12v Batteries on the way out, Alltrax XCT 500 and 400a Solenoid from ScottyB so looking forward to the performance and distance.
Hello Bigguy9,

I have never used the Chargery BMS and only two of the Zeva setups. Only a little over $100 for BMS and box rather than $450 for Zeva. This BMS controls the balance and overcharging of cells. It does not pass main cart power thru the BMS, only the charging circuit passes thru the BMS. This pack I am working on is my 25th that I have built.

Here is a link to the charger I am using.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

The BMS
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...588246bf2iv2HN

The box for the BMS - You must modify the ends of the box for the BMS to be installed.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3255...37c34c4daZjiUC

This setup is almost identical to what was being sold at EV Battery Center before Nick Passed away and all things lithium stopped there. The software provided is exactly what Nick used to program his BMS. Nick bought the BMS from the same place and then experimented and developed the WiFi connection device that he added to the BMS, allowing any phone to connect to the BMS. What is offered here has a Bluetooth connection and an app but only for Android.

I have provided aluminum side plates for the packs and cart tubs to more than a dozen members building their own packs. I am currently in the middle of a conversion to lithium on a 2007 Precedent, also with the 4-12V battery setup. I will post a few pics here in a few days of that install. It is also getting an Alltrax upgrade.

Pictures,
First one is power side of the pack. Blue 175A Anderson connector(cart main power), two small connectors hanging off the terminal strip are for the Charger and the DC-DC converter. The Negative #10 comes from the BMS, The Positive #10 from the main pack positive.
Second is the pack terminals and BMS side.
Third is the BMS and a couple of mods to the end covers. I use 3M VDB tape to install it in the box.
Fourth is the pack terminal cover with tap wires completed. This terminal cover can be ordered from a BGW member who 3D prints them for members at a modest price. He does not supply a cover with them. I cut an aluminum plate to fit and mount with four #4 x 3/8" sheet metal screws.
Fifth is an install in a 2016 Precedent that had 6-8V batts and controller cover in rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191029_120637120.jpg (317.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191029_120625400.jpg (281.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191001_134849855.jpg (368.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191027_163618232.jpg (237.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180429_100307915.jpg (240.4 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
bigguy9
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you PingEye! Very helpful information.

I purchased the Anderson charger as well as the BMS and box. In the meantime, while I await delivery, I'll spend some time digesting the info provided.

If you are willing to do another box/mount setup let me know what you would charge, better to have things look professional.

You've already saved me money with this info.

FYI, local replacements for the 4x12v OR 6x8v were around 800$. So I'm not there with the lithium setup and charger/bms.

Thanks again!
Old 11-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #7
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

I will second what Nole said about Ping. A real wealth of knowledge. I'm one of the members whose pack was built by Ping and I couldn't be happier. Very professional to work with and takes care of things down to the last detail. It was a very easy drop-in solution. Oh. My cart is a 1990 CC DS with stock 36V motor, Alltrax 500A controller, 400A solenoid, HD F/R contactor, and stock tires. At 24MPH it'll out run every cart in my hood.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #8
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

I may be able to get you a set of plates ready by the end of next week. Attached is a typical pack wiring diagram using that BMS. You can order your pack terminal cover from BGW member cmysstailights. PM me when you get access to the PM system for info on the plates.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lithium 7 Cell Pack w Bluetooth- Tap Harness.pdf (120.1 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
bigguy9
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Amazing, thank you for everything. Extremely helpful!
Old 11-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

PingEye3, Did You ever identify the trimpot(s) that adjust the output voltage of that inexpensive charger?

The trimpot by itself should be the one that controls the voltage, just wondering if you have tried it and if it worked well.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car