lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2023, 09:59 AM   #1
BigWillyStyle
Not Yet Wild

Question Zip tie mod. Is it safe?

I recently picked up a 2014 gas precedent and I’m currently getting 14 mph. I tried the zip tie method and got up to almost 20. Question is, is this safe for the engine (Kawasaki 350) and is there a safer method? Thanks
BigWillyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2023, 10:12 AM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Zip tie mod. Is it safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWillyStyle View Post
I recently picked up a 2014 gas precedent and I’m currently getting 14 mph. I tried the zip tie method and got up to almost 20. Question is, is this safe for the engine (Kawasaki 350) and is there a safer method? Thanks
The zip tie mod disables the mechanical land speed governor. The ignition system should also have an electronic RPM governor that will kill the spark at a pre-set overspeed. It should never reach that electronic governor IF the mechanical governor is working properly. If you zip tie and disable the land speed governor and get fast enough you should get to a point of engine kill from the electronic. In my opinion, no, that is not safe and puts your motor at risk of coming un-put-together. Especially in a downhill roll at speed. 20 MPH with zip tie should be safe IF you control it with head, mind, common sense, and foot. But it would be capable of getting above common sense.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:34 AM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

As long as you’re not hitting the rev limiter that should be fine. Just be careful!
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:42 AM   #4
BigWillyStyle
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responses. 18-20mph is the fastest I want so at that speed hopefully I’m not maxing RPM’s. This was a fleet cart that was fixed up with life and tires… so rev limiter should still be intact, right?

Will this help with throttle sensitivity also? With current configuration, it feels like the pedal is all or nothing. I’d like to roll at slow speeds without the jerking.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:58 AM   #5
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWillyStyle View Post
Thanks for the responses. 18-20mph is the fastest I want so at that speed hopefully I’m not maxing RPM’s. This was a fleet cart that was fixed up with life and tires… so rev limiter should still be intact, right?

Will this help with throttle sensitivity also? With current configuration, it feels like the pedal is all or nothing. I’d like to roll at slow speeds without the jerking.
What you describe as an "all or nothing" on the throttle sounds as if you might have pulled the zip ties tighter than you needed to to get to 20 mph. There's a threaded adjustment on the governor and you may have been able to get to 20 without the zip ties if you had adjusted there. You might want to cut the zips and try that adjustment to get the additional speed while still leaving the land speed governor working. If not, then you might want to try replacing the current zips with a little less pull on the zips. Sometimes it takes a little trial and error with the zip ties to get the desired effect on throttle sensitivity.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:28 AM   #6
BigWillyStyle
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreatt View Post
What you describe as an "all or nothing" on the throttle sounds as if you might have pulled the zip ties tighter than you needed to to get to 20 mph. There's a threaded adjustment on the governor and you may have been able to get to 20 without the zip ties if you had adjusted there. You might want to cut the zips and try that adjustment to get the additional speed while still leaving the land speed governor working. If not, then you might want to try replacing the current zips with a little less pull on the zips. Sometimes it takes a little trial and error with the zip ties to get the desired effect on throttle sensitivity.
This was pre zip tie. It feels like I don’t get moving well until pedal is mashed all the way. And if I let go of throttle halfway, the cart **** near comes to a stop. I’m
Old 02-02-2023, 04:03 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sounds like the throttle is out of adjustment. Zip tie should not affect it.

With seat removed and key OFF, Adjust the throttle cable so that the microswitch clicks after about 1” of pedal travel. The carb butterfly should NOT move. Depress the pedal ANOTHER 1/2”-3/4” and the throttle plate should juuuuust start to move.

I’m betting your throttle plate is opening when or before the microswitch clicks, so by the time the engine is told to run you’ve already got throttle applied. So at what “should” be half throttle you’re basically wide open

And stock size tires you are usually good for 18-20mph before it hits the rev limiter. If you’ve got bigger tires and a lift you’ve probably got a couple more mph in there. I always adjust the zip tie so that when I’m driving on flat pavement, full throttle it occasionally hits the rev limiter. Then back off about 2 clicks of the zip tie. Takes a half dozen or so drives to get it just perfect but then you never have to touch it again.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:41 PM   #8
BigWillyStyle
Not Yet Wild

Appreciate the input
Old 02-12-2023, 02:29 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's the photos of my zip tie mod on my '05 Club Car DS. Believe it or not, this exact configuration with the zip tie got me an extra mile or two per hour.

6" lift has been ordered and 22" tires are in it's future so I don't know that I'll want for any higher top speed. But we'll see.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 05:59 AM   #10
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you consistently go over 4000 rpms you might damage the rod to crank surface. BUT some people have done this and did ok. Like someone said going down hill wide open is the time it will break.
oncearacer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car