lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2022, 02:15 AM   #31
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Car motor flood rescue

Some good cleaning info for flooded motors. https://www.plantengineering.com/art...looded-motors/
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #32
Farmerjim55
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Have you checked that the field is not shorted to the can? Might save you a pile of dicking around just to find this out after.
Whats the best way to check this?
Farmerjim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #33
Farmerjim55
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhouseinc View Post
Were you able to salvage anything? Any progress??

My STAR was no where near that bad with the motor but the frame was
probably way worse and I had to cut out portions and re-weld
Waiting for bearings and some other parts. Will update once I've put it back together.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:51 AM   #34
Farmerjim55
Not Yet Wild

Default UPDATE - Re: Club Car motor flood rescue

Hey guys. Happy New Year to all!
Here’s an update on my Club Car DS motor flood rescue. It is RUNNING! A new bearing and a lot of elbow grease involved in the cleaning process but it IS running! It’s pretty remarkable actually considering the original condition of the motor following being submerged for so long. Happy dance! 😀

Only running on 12v so far as I’m waiting for a new MCOR unit. Huge thanks to @sleeplesstwo who suggested testing Winthrop a 12v set-up and provided the diagram on how to hook it up.

Still not sure if my controller or OBC are ok, but it’s one step in the right direction for sure. And there’s of course no way of telling how long it will run for under real conditions and toads.

However, it’s safe to say I’m extremely happy I ignored all the initial “bin it”, “throw it away” and “junk it” comments I received on my post. I appreciate all constructive and supportive messages.

I will post update if I actually get the cart to run.

Tried to attach/upload video clip of it running but I was not able to… Changed format to SWF. Hope it works
Attached Files
File Type: swf clubcar_motor_running.swf (16.96 MB, 0 views)
Old 01-02-2023, 06:49 AM   #35
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

I would soak it all in a rust dissolving compound.. ive seen that stuff work miracles. maybe something like this to inhibit more rust. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit I see you got it running, congrats.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 07:04 AM   #36
Farmerjim55
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
I would soak it all in a rust dissolving compound.. ive seen that stuff work miracles. maybe something like this to inhibit more rust. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit I see you got it running, congrats.
Thanks. Yes, there was a fair bit of rust to get rid of. But it is running now.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:56 AM   #37
oldrock
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

congrats for getting it running. I am all for saving old stuff rather than replacing when possible. If you know someone that has one of those ultrasonic cleaners, it would probably help clear out some of the rust you could not reach. I have one and it works wonders for cleaning carbs, etc. Maybe a local auto repair shop in your area has one? Keep going and hopefully you will have it back in service soon.
oldrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:35 AM   #38
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: UPDATE - Re: Club Car motor flood rescue

It came through as an audio file but I can hear it running and that's a good thing!

I'm honestly not surprised it runs- I'm near the coast and back when we had some flooding from the hurricanes in 2015 and 2016 I saw a lot of motors in that condition and worse. A surprising amount of them were rebuildable. Glad you got yours going!
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:57 AM   #39
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

I thought of the ultrasonic cleaner myself but being I just suggested one for fuel injector cleaning I didn't want to sound like an ultrasonic cleaner fan boy or something lol but they really are great for cleaning smaller parts and assys like carbs.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 04:56 PM   #40
Farmerjim55
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. Great tip and I’m happy to report I’ve got an ultrasonic cleaner waiting for me at our local post office! Ordered one a while ago. I’m sure it will prove very useful. 👍
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car