lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2022, 04:00 PM   #31
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: HD 3B 1977 D Wire's

You have the wiring diagram, correct?

Completely forget the wire color as that can change over the years.

I think your best tact is to use your 4 post solenoid only. It's what the cart was intended to have and it will remove any unknowns.

Take all of the wires off the solenoid. Now, simply redo everything exactly as it is on the diagram. When you are looking down at your solenoid, and all of the terminals are pointed away from you:

1) The left terminal (large wire) goes to F2 on the starter.
2) The next terminal (small wire) goes to the microswitch
3) The next terminal (small wire) goes to ground.
4) The next terminal (large wire AND small wire) the large wire goes to battery + and the small to the circuit breaker.

I think whoever put that 3 terminal solenoid in there had to fiddle with the wiring to get it to work. If it were me, I would probably start from scratch and rewire the entire cart from point to point to make sure that everything is going where it is supposed to.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2022, 01:58 PM   #32
SFORCES
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
You have the wiring diagram, correct?

Completely forget the wire color as that can change over the years.

I think your best tact is to use your 4 post solenoid only. It's what the cart was intended to have and it will remove any unknowns.

Take all of the wires off the solenoid. Now, simply redo everything exactly as it is on the diagram. When you are looking down at your solenoid, and all of the terminals are pointed away from you:

1) The left terminal (large wire) goes to F2 on the starter.
2) The next terminal (small wire) goes to the microswitch
3) The next terminal (small wire) goes to ground.
4) The next terminal (large wire AND small wire) the large wire goes to battery + and the small to the circuit breaker.

I think whoever put that 3 terminal solenoid in there had to fiddle with the wiring to get it to work. If it were me, I would probably start from scratch and rewire the entire cart from point to point to make sure that everything is going where it is supposed to.

ok so if i go to rewiring it i should use 6 gauge for the starter to the f/r switch + _ on battery and everything else 12 gauge? i think it might be the micro switch. when i have the micro switch unplugged and turn the toggle switch on and touch the 2 wire's from the micro switch together the starter spins. when i don't touch them together it stops. do you know were i might get one? then ones i seen online there 3 pins and the one i have is only 2 pins with the 2 pins from the solenoid and coil crimped together in a double connector.
SFORCES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #33
Lochlin
Gone Wild

The three pins and the 2 pins ones are the same. The only difference is that, with the two pin ones, the wires have to be crimped as you mention.

To your other question, yes, I use 6g wire for the "high amp" stuff and 12g for the low amp stuff.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:14 PM   #34
SFORCES
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Quote:
The three pins and the 2 pins ones are the same. The only difference is that, with the two pin ones, the wires have to be crimped as you mention.

To your other question, yes, I use 6g wire for the "high amp" stuff and 12g for the low amp stuff.
ok so the 2 wire's that were crimped together does it matter as to what 2 pin they go on the one side of the switch? they can go to either of those pins?

it doesn't matter where the wire from the solenoid goes or from the coil the can go to either pins correct?
Old 06-21-2022, 08:30 AM   #35
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFORCES View Post
ok so the 2 wire's that were crimped together does it matter as to what 2 pin they go on the one side of the switch? they can go to either of those pins?

it doesn't matter where the wire from the solenoid goes or from the coil the can go to either pins correct?
You are correct in both cases, both the microswitch and solenoid are nothing but simple switches. The microswitch is a simple switch where as the solenoid is a bit more complex as it switches between low current (thin wires) and high current (fat wire) circuits.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:04 PM   #36
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I believe the 3 Pin microswitch works with 1 Being Power in, one being 'normally open' and the third being 'being normally closed. There is a Youtube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.02.27 AM.jpg (93.3 KB, 0 views)
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:20 AM   #37
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbaynham View Post
I believe the 3 Pin microswitch works with 1 Being Power in, one being 'normally open' and the third being 'being normally closed. There is a Youtube.
You are probably correct. I was under the impression that the "duel tabs" on the "plunger" type switches only provided the second tab to account for different wiring harnesses with engines with electric fuel pumps or other add-ons that only run with the accelerator depressed. I actually haven't used those types of switches in years and use a universal switch like the one pictured. The center connection is common while the others are "closed with the plunger is out" (which is correct for these carts) and "closed when the plunder is pushed in" (which is for other applications).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plunger MS.jpg (36.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-22-2022, 03:12 PM   #38
SFORCES
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Quote:
You are probably correct. I was under the impression that the "duel tabs" on the "plunger" type switches only provided the second tab to account for different wiring harnesses with engines with electric fuel pumps or other add-ons that only run with the accelerator depressed. I actually haven't used those types of switches in years and use a universal switch like the one pictured. The center connection is common while the others are "closed with the plunger is out" (which is correct for these carts) and "closed when the plunder is pushed in" (which is for other applications).
ok so which one should i buy?
Old 06-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #39
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Actually, the one you should be buying is a bit different altogether and is located here:

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Davids...ps%2C58&sr=8-1

Again, as I haven't used this specific switch in a long time I can't attest to exactly how it is configured but here is all you need to know:

When the switch is sitting on a table, out of the box and with nothing touching it but a volt meter; you will have continuity between the stand-alone tab and one of two that are on the other side. Out of those two, you want to connect to the one that has continuity (and the single one on the other side, obviously) without the plunger being depressed. Continuity should be lost when the plunger is depressed.

It's not easy to describe verbally so let me know if this is helpful.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:05 PM   #40
SFORCES
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Quote:
Actually, the one you should be buying is a bit different altogether and is located here:

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Davids...ps%2C58&sr=8-1

Again, as I haven't used this specific switch in a long time I can't attest to exactly how it is configured but here is all you need to know:

When the switch is sitting on a table, out of the box and with nothing touching it but a volt meter; you will have continuity between the stand-alone tab and one of two that are on the other side. Out of those two, you want to connect to the one that has continuity (and the single one on the other side, obviously) without the plunger being depressed. Continuity should be lost when the plunger is depressed.

It's not easy to describe verbally so let me know if this is helpful.
ok thanx really appreciate you helping and chiming in on this and helping me out
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson