lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2022, 03:43 PM   #1
LakePlacidGolfer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Battery set to on or off when charging Lithium batteries

When charging lithium batteries, should the battery pack be on or off?

I received no instructions with my delivery.
LakePlacidGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2022, 03:58 PM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery set to on or off when charging Lithium batteries

Sorry I can't help with an answer, but I noticed you are close to me. Wondering what are you doing about the cold weather and charging with your Lithium? I noticed the warranty on Extreme's site does not cover the battery at "extreme" temps which they stated at BELOW 32 degrees f.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:15 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

A general answer as you gave no specifics of your battery or charger is either, It shouldn’t matter.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:27 PM   #4
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here's my .02, and I'm going to take a lot of liberty since you didn't list important specifics like Pat mentioned.

I assume you have a drop in pack in a case with a built-in BMS and switch. If you switched the pack to "Off" position it should break the circuit of the cells and thus all power from it, including the BMS. Therefore you shouldn't be able to even charge it if switched to Off.

Again, trying us to help you without more details is at best a guessing game.
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:42 PM   #5
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Cutting power to the battery shouldn’t disable the BMS. Best practice design is to always have it protecting the cells regardless of load or charge.

Having thought about it further, if all you have coming from the battery are two terminals, positive and negative, switching off the battery will most likely prevent charging.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:22 PM   #6
LakePlacidGolfer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you Pat911 and UncleJerm76 for your responses.

I have an Extreme Team 48v 100ah lithium battery. (see attached photo)

After hooking up the charger and plugging it in, it would not charge the battery with the battery switched to off.

When I switched the battery to on, the charger worked.

I have been unable to connect to the BMS via bluetooth (again, no instructions).

You can follow my Lithium install here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8282.jpg (128.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-29-2022, 08:04 PM   #7
LakePlacidGolfer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Wondering what are you doing about the cold weather and charging with your Lithium? I noticed the warranty on Extreme's site does not cover the battery at "extreme" temps which they stated at BELOW 32 degrees f.
I keep my cart inside my garage near Albany, NY from November through April. The garage does not go below 45 degrees.

In late April, I bring it back north, where it stays at my condo adjacent to the golf course.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:32 PM   #8
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakePlacidGolfer View Post
I keep my cart inside my garage near Albany, NY from November through April. The garage does not go below 45 degrees.

In late April, I bring it back north, where it stays at my condo adjacent to the golf course.
Darn. I was hoping you or Extreme found a practical solution for people who use/work these buggys everyday.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:46 AM   #9
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

The only solution to charging lithium at below freezing temps is to heat the pack. No other way around it. Serious irreversible damage will be done if charging is allowed to occur below 0degC. It is also dangerous to do so.

@LakePlacidGolfer,
How are you trying to connect the Bluetooth? By default, the Daly BMS which I believe is being used goes into sleep mode after 5 minutes. To wake it up you need to either draw power from the battery or charge it up. Once awake, you connect to it directly from the Daly app, not the Bluetooth menu of your phone. From the app you should be able to search and connect to the BMS.

Cheers
Pat.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:17 PM   #10
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
The only solution to charging lithium at below freezing temps is to heat the pack. No other way around it. Serious irreversible damage will be done if charging is allowed to occur below 0degC. It is also dangerous to do so.

Cheers
Pat.
I guess I am hoping one of these companies building packs will offer them in a heated/cooled "jacket" like they have to do for electric cars, for those of us who have 4 seasons. I realize that the pack will have to have a little more capacity to handle the energy requirements of keeping the battery "climate controlled" during the day when off the charger, but how much more I am not sure.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car