lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2022, 07:42 AM   #31
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Planning Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZ45 View Post
When these swaps take place, the golf cart style starter generator is deleted, so the engine runs all the time?
Not sure what you mean by "runs all the time". If you use the electric starter on the engine it will start and run like a car, turn the keys and start it, turn the key off and it stops running. You can, however, use your starter/gen with a big block engine.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #32
doo dah
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Going from a stock 11hp engine to a Briggs 16hp Vanguard Vtwin will be a night and day difference. Big torque low in the rpm range is perfect for a golf cart, especially if you use it to pull a load like a small trailer or a mower or like to use it for work. In stock form with 23" tires the Briggs can rev safely to 4500 rpm without modification and will net a top speed around 30 mph. If you keep the factory governor on the engine you will top out at around 3800 rpm and 25 mph. Either way it's a big improvement over stock.

A 16hp engine isn't much different, but hey, might as well go for the 18hp version. Difference in stock form wouldn't be very noticable if compared side by side. So buy what you can get a good price on. Either one will work nicely on that cart.

Another thought is the HF670 Predator. Much different animal. It comes with a muffler that actually sounds really good. Much more power here. Same rev limiter and speed, just huge amount of torque!!! Cost will be similar. Quality is good. I did have some minor issues with it, the fuel pump is junk, fuel lines should be replaced, spark plugs are terrible. So with a few minor cheap upgrades I feel like it's a bargain for the amount of power you get. Keep in mind....it's a China copy engine.....quality isn't the same as the Japan made Vanguard.

I've used the following vtwin engines:
16hp Vanguard twin stock
23hp Vanguard twin stock
22hp HF670 Predator twin stock (my second favorite)
16hp Vanguard twin, rev kit, cam, 18hp carb (by far my favorite)
23hp Vanguard with 34mm Mikuni and full 1.5" pipe exhaust (third favorite)
Slonomo;
I have a 2013 TXT that I stretched to a 6 seater and plan was 670HF but they are so expensive now and hard to find used; will a smaller twin help my low end? I have 25" tires, 6" lift, etc...so cart is heavy but will run 28-30 on flat ground with just me but load 6 people coolers etc and it will barely hit 20 and forget about making it up a hill. Have GBoost springs, buttons, and HD belt so I have done everything I can for the Kawasaki but spending a grand for a 670 isn't in the cards right now.
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:27 AM   #33
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Slonomo;
I have a 2013 TXT that I stretched to a 6 seater and plan was 670HF but they are so expensive now and hard to find used; will a smaller twin help my low end? I have 25" tires, 6" lift, etc...so cart is heavy but will run 28-30 on flat ground with just me but load 6 people coolers etc and it will barely hit 20 and forget about making it up a hill. Have GBoost springs, buttons, and HD belt so I have done everything I can for the Kawasaki but spending a grand for a 670 isn't in the cards right now.
Yes a 16hp Vanguard Vtwin will have about double the torque of a stock golf cart engine, and would be a vast improvement. With that said, 6 people and a cooler? That's a lot of weight. Not sure any of these options will turn that limo cart into a "hill climber". I'd definitely do some performance mods no matter what engine you choose. Remember, you get what you pay for. A $400 Harbor Freight clone engine isn't anywhere near a $1700 23hp Vanguard as far as power, longevity, etc. Spend the money once and do it right. For that big cart I'm thinking a big vtwin with Mikuni slide carb, cam, rev kit, port and polish heads at the bare minimum. You'll also want to hook up a one wire alternator to power that rig.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:08 PM   #34
doo dah
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Yes a 16hp Vanguard Vtwin will have about double the torque of a stock golf cart engine, and would be a vast improvement. With that said, 6 people and a cooler? That's a lot of weight. Not sure any of these options will turn that limo cart into a "hill climber". I'd definitely do some performance mods no matter what engine you choose. Remember, you get what you pay for. A $400 Harbor Freight clone engine isn't anywhere near a $1700 23hp Vanguard as far as power, longevity, etc. Spend the money once and do it right. For that big cart I'm thinking a big vtwin with Mikuni slide carb, cam, rev kit, port and polish heads at the bare minimum. You'll also want to hook up a one wire alternator to power that rig.
The cart does some double duty between neighborhood runs which are extremely hilly, like 100 foot elevation changes, and beach transport. I am about to leave it at the beach and use it there 100% so hills aren't going to be an issue now. I'll work the wife up to spending the coin for a 670 I guess, based on your guidance the smaller vtwin would be better than the Kawasaki but possibly still not up to the task of 1,000 lbs or more.
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:19 PM   #35
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

11HP Robin - 3500cc
16HP Vanguard - 479cc
18HP Vanguard - 570cc

Going from 11hp to 16hp is 45.40% increase in power?

Going from 11hp to 18hp is 62.50% increase in power?
KOZ45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:07 PM   #36
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
11HP Robin - 3500cc
16HP Vanguard - 479cc
18HP Vanguard - 570cc

Going from 11hp to 16hp is 45.40% increase in power?

Going from 11hp to 18hp is 62.50% increase in power?
His cart has the Kaw engine, but I get what you're saying here. Also, keep in mind the HP ratings on the Vtwins are at 3600 rpm governed, so with a cam and rev kit the power output will be even higher. On a cammed 16 Vanguard with a rev kit, HP will be in the 20 hp realm in the upper rpm range. Torque is the biggest story here, the 16 Vanguard will make peak torque 22.5 lb ft just above idle in the 2600 rpm range, according to the Briggs power curve on their website. Again, cam and rev kit will raise that.

For the money, the HF670 is still the king of power/torque. Add a cam, rev kit, and Mikuni carb and that baby has some power. I've heard around 35-40 hp is possible without too much trouble.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:02 AM   #37
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Kawasaki is 13hp and 401cc?
Old 01-26-2022, 07:45 AM   #38
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Kawasaki is 13hp and 401cc?
Sorry your thread got hijacked there
Old 01-26-2022, 07:47 AM   #39
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

So what setup are you going with?
Old 01-26-2022, 01:52 PM   #40
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm looking for a 16hp to 18hp Vanguard

Which I use will depend on the condition and price
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!