lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #1
GunnyArt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Cosmetics done. Time for some performance

'97 TXT 36v

Figures just when I thought the cart was done...

Planting food plots the cart was struggling to haul my wife and I along with several large sacks of seed through plowed ground. I smelled ozone pretty strong as well. Are these indications it's time for more power?

I'm not that concerned with speed but I'd like the thing to be able to spend a couple hours carrying significant weight and get up and down some hills.

Would I be happier upgrading to motor and controller with FLA or going to a drop in 36v Li pack?

If I'm understanding correctly the torque won't change with Li but the weight savings will make be the big difference.
GunnyArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2021, 05:04 PM   #2
SouthernFlyed
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cosmetics done. Time for some performance

Wish I could be more of a help, but my 1997 TXT DCS is at the shop getting her updates finished this week. It's gonna be a sporting clays cart and granddaughter limo. You'll get some great advice from the folks here as I did, but I'd also look at Carts Unlimited's website and click on the UPGRADES FOR EZGO CARTS & WHAT TO EXPECT! It was, along with this site a truck load of advice.

Drop ins to single 36/48v batteries, Lithium to LA, solenoids and controllers, heavy gauge wiring, F/R switch updates and approximate pricing are all discussed between here and that Carts unlimited page, even got quick responses from ScottieB on this forum.

My list of upgrades are as follows (thank God I was given the cart by a buddy):

New Mot B2 motor
New 600amp Navitas controller w/ONF
HD Solenoid
New F/R switch
2ga wiring
20" tires
12v reducer to use lights & charge phone (no music yet, but I see that coming for the wife, daughter & granddaughter)
36v LIFEPO4 battery pack (3 12vs) with SOC meter & charger
& since my old trailer wasn't big enough, added a 5'6" x 10'6" trailer
Hoping to do a "wrap" of paint, but may wait til this spring

If I don't get the performance I want with all the uprades I can add an additional 12v battery (in series) and 48v charger pand go to 48v as all the upgrades are capable of running 48v. Cleared this with the provider of the batteries and if I do this within a year I will NOT void my warranty.

One thing from the Carts Unlimited website was that a "new controller would add 30% more power/torque with the same speed with the stock motor" and that might be your solution.

Best of luck bringing a classic cart to the watering hole of what's out there in 2021!
SouthernFlyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:55 PM   #3
GunnyArt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

..."new controller would add 30% more power/torque with the same speed "...

Interesting. Thanks
Old 10-14-2021, 06:38 AM   #4
SouthernFlyed
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyArt View Post
..."new controller would add 30% more power/torque with the same speed "...

Interesting. Thanks

"Stock motor and tires get 22-23 mph and 30% more torque
Combo packages include heavy duty 200 or 400 amp solenoid kits" ---- staight from the Carts Unlimited website. Look for ScottieB on this board.
SouthernFlyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:39 AM   #5
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyArt View Post
'97 TXT 36v

Figures just when I thought the cart was done...

Planting food plots the cart was struggling to haul my wife and I along with several large sacks of seed through plowed ground. I smelled ozone pretty strong as well. Are these indications it's time for more power?

I'm not that concerned with speed but I'd like the thing to be able to spend a couple hours carrying significant weight and get up and down some hills.

Would I be happier upgrading to motor and controller with FLA or going to a drop in 36v Li pack?

If I'm understanding correctly the torque won't change with Li but the weight savings will make be the big difference.
Are you a Series or a Sepex cart? Series has a f/r toggle under the seat but no tow/run switch.

I have run a 36v lithium on stock controller and FLA with a Alltrax controller, both on the same Sepex cart They are comparable in "average use" scenarios, but each has advantages over the other. I've also installed a 36v lithium in a stock Series cart and had great results too.

You prob don't need a new motor if what you have now is mostly meeting your needs with old batteries.

IF I was going to buy 1 thing today, the Lithium would be it. The advantages over an Alltrax controller for the average user just due to the improved performance and lack of maintenance can't be overstated. You can always add a controller later to really unlock the cart.

- $1300: lithium/stock controller will give you full instant torque and will sustain. It never fades like lead acid. You will also benefit from the weight reduction with better handling and dramatically improved acceleration. Range will improve by 3x-5x. Disadvantage: You are FULLY committing to 36v.

- $1200: Good FLA/Alltrax controller will give you dramatically improved acceleration and top speed. I personally didn't "feel" a dramatic improvement in torque, but I'm sure its there. Lead acid limitations will remain with battery fade over sustained use. I didn't notice a loss of range with the controller. The options to customize regen and other items (Sepex cart would have this, but not a series) is very nice. Also gives you an upgrade path to 48v down the road if you desire.
superfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:32 PM   #6
GunnyArt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfan86 View Post
Are you a Series or a Sepex cart? Series has a f/r toggle under the seat but no tow/run switch.

I have run a 36v lithium on stock controller and FLA with a Alltrax controller, both on the same Sepex cart They are comparable in "average use" scenarios, but each has advantages over the other. I've also installed a 36v lithium in a stock Series cart and had great results too.

You prob don't need a new motor if what you have now is mostly meeting your needs with old batteries.

IF I was going to buy 1 thing today, the Lithium would be it. The advantages over an Alltrax controller for the average user just due to the improved performance and lack of maintenance can't be overstated. You can always add a controller later to really unlock the cart.

- $1300: lithium/stock controller will give you full instant torque and will sustain. It never fades like lead acid. You will also benefit from the weight reduction with better handling and dramatically improved acceleration. Range will improve by 3x-5x. Disadvantage: You are FULLY committing to 36v.

- $1200: Good FLA/Alltrax controller will give you dramatically improved acceleration and top speed. I personally didn't "feel" a dramatic improvement in torque, but I'm sure its there. Lead acid limitations will remain with battery fade over sustained use. I didn't notice a loss of range with the controller. The options to customize regen and other items (Sepex cart would have this, but not a series) is very nice. Also gives you an upgrade path to 48v down the road if you desire.
Must be s series as it doesn't have the tow switch. What $1300 lithium are you referencing? I'm starting to consider converting to gas but $1300 for usable lithium power is pretty tempting.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:37 AM   #7
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

First off I would upgrade the cables to 2GA to get the maximum amps to the motor. Then since torque is what you need for hauling a load upgrade the controller or a combination of a motor and controller. With either of those mods you'll likely need to upgrade the F/W switch. Check out the Plum Quick or Carts Unlimited website for advice for doing upgrades in stages or all at once. As you increase tire size you will reduce torque but gain speed, doesn't sound like this is what you need.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:01 AM   #8
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's another option. Send your motor off to Plum Quick and get the Bandit upgrade for about $275 plus shipping which will give you 25% more torque and about 3 mph on top end. This is a pretty good bang for your buck. Performance escalates from there and it only cost more$$$$$!
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #9
GunnyArt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This is the most confusing project I've ever started. The options are overwhelming.
I'm getting all sorts of conflicting information on what I can and can't safely do and where I'll get my best bang for the buck.

I'm willing to expand my target budget as it appears that's going to be reality. I have a guy who says he can do a 48v lithium pack, controller and charger for $2300 which sounds fair. I think I'll also replace the brushes and upgrade the wires.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #10
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you do any serious towing or moving equipment around, weight is required. My cart, [Curtis 1268 with FLAs] would not be near as capable 350 pounds lighter. That and the fact that the lithium builders haven't overcome cold weather charging without complicated pack heaters ect.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO