lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
A/C-SuperCool
Not Yet Wild

Default Reverse No Forward

Hey guys I just went for a ride & when I first took off, it started to pulsate pretty bad, then straighten out. We rode for a bit & when pulling back in the driveway. I stopped and eased into the throttle. It started to pulsate again, then completely stopped. I can hear the relay engage & the voltage drops, but no go in forward. I do have full function in reverse...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its a EZGO J199-1205507
A/C-SuperCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2021, 10:22 PM   #2
A/C-SuperCool
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Reverse No Forward

Both forward & reverse micro switches check good.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:07 AM   #3
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

"I can hear the relay engage & the voltage drops, but no go in forward."

The question is what does the voltage drop to? does it drop at main pack positive/negative or at the solenoid? Half speed reverse could work even with a bad battery where-as forward may drop out pack...also year of batteries would help out the other as well..
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #4
A/C-SuperCool
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
"I can hear the relay engage & the voltage drops, but no go in forward."

The question is what does the voltage drop to? does it drop at main pack positive/negative or at the solenoid? Half speed reverse could work even with a bad battery where-as forward may drop out pack...also year of batteries would help out the other as well..
The batteries are Trojans less than 5 years old.
On my lil voltage gauge on the dash, it drops from 36vdc down to 32vdc.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:44 AM   #5
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Trojan has a date code on the negative terminal that will tell you exact age... A8 = January 2018....B8 = February 2018 C9 = March 2019 and so on...5-6 years is the life expectancy on average for a set... 36V on a 36 volt cart is near dead..it should be at around 38.1 volts after a full charge... My next step would be to check each battery individually to see if one is dropping out or whole pack is dropping evenly...But someone else may have another suggestion for ya
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
A/C-SuperCool
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
Trojan has a date code on the negative terminal that will tell you exact age... A8 = January 2018....B8 = February 2018 C9 = March 2019 and so on...5-6 years is the life expectancy on average for a set... 36V on a 36 volt cart is near dead..it should be at around 38.1 volts after a full charge... My next step would be to check each battery individually to see if one is dropping out or whole pack is dropping evenly...But someone else may have another suggestion for ya
Would it run in reverse fine but not forward with a bad battery? When I have it fully charged it is typically 38-39vdc. I'll have to check it again to be sure.

I checked the code it's G6 (2016) so much much older than I thought....
Old 07-21-2021, 03:39 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You didn't identify the drive type, but said both F and R microswitches tested good, so I suspect it is a sepex drive (DCS in a 1999) rather than a series drive.

If it is a DCS and runs in one direction but not the other, either the controller is bad, or the F/R voltage isn't getting to the controller.

On the other hand, if it is a series drive and only going in one direction, chances are high that it is a F/R switch issue.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:11 PM   #8
A/C-SuperCool
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You didn't identify the drive type, but said both F and R microswitches tested good, so I suspect it is a sepex drive (DCS in a 1999) rather than a series drive.

If it is a DCS and runs in one direction but not the other, either the controller is bad, or the F/R voltage isn't getting to the controller.

On the other hand, if it is a series drive and only going in one direction, chances are high that it is a F/R switch issue.
It is the indeed the DCS model. I'm suspecting the controller at this point. The relay is engaging & I can hear a slight pulsation somewhere, but I can't pin point it & the cart does not move. However as I mentioned before I do get a voltage drop on my dash gauge.

What would I do to test the controller is in fact getting the voltage it needs to power forward? And what terminals at the motor should have voltage? I'm trying to figure out what's the power in/power out of the controller when in forward.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2021, 01:52 AM   #9
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/C-SuperCool View Post
It is the indeed the DCS model. I'm suspecting the controller at this point. The relay is engaging & I can hear a slight pulsation somewhere, but I can't pin point it & the cart does not move. However as I mentioned before I do get a voltage drop on my dash gauge.

What would I do to test the controller is in fact getting the voltage it needs to power forward? And what terminals at the motor should have voltage? I'm trying to figure out what's the power in/power out of the controller when in forward.

Thanks
When the cart is in reverse you should have battery pack voltage to pin 4 ( orange wire ) on the controller. The default mode of the controller is forward and power applied to pin 4 switches to reverse. If the cart will run forward and power on pin 4 does not switch to reverse, then bad controller.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/C-SuperCool View Post

Thanks
The voltage between A1(-) and A2 (+) will be about 0V when pedal is pushed just far enough to make solenoid click and will increase to full battery pack voltage as pedal is pushed to the floor.

The voltage between F1 and F2 will likely be about 20V since the field mapping ought to be calling for high field amps when starting and might get down to 5V or less as motor spins faster. F1 will be "-" when one direction is selected and "+" when the other direction is selected.

Attached are two drawings of a generic sepex controller using a H-bridge to feed the field windings showing amp flow in F and in R.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sepex-in Forward.jpg (129.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Sepex-in Reverse.jpg (129.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO