lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2021, 09:27 AM   #1
shawn3474
Not Yet Wild

Default Goes then stops until tow/run switch toggled

I have a 2007 YDRE that has a strange issue. The cart will run fine and then suddenly the peddle no longer works (silent, no clicking like the cart is off). I flip the tow/run switch and then it will go again. Sometimes a long ways sometimes stops almost as soon as you press the peddle. When it happens, there is 0 sound when I press the peddle. I replaced the tow/run switch but issue persists. Trying to diagnose it further but with it being intermittent it is a problem. I am starting to suspect the controller or maybe the pedal switch. I was thinking solenoid but would that be intermittent like this? I always hear the click sound when I flip the tow/run. I did search around but haven't seen anyone describe this exact problem. Thanks in advance.
shawn3474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2021, 04:53 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Goes then stops until tow/run switch toggled

Does this occur just after the throttle is fully pressed? The symptom you describe is most often related to low battery voltage, and the voltage will sag the most when under load, accelerating.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:41 AM   #3
shawn3474
Not Yet Wild

New to carts and added a power voltage meter. The batteries were not at freshly charged and if I recall at about 46v when this happened...while not under load. Is that low enough to see this?
Old 04-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #4
shawn3474
Not Yet Wild

Did some research and looks like you hit the nail on the head. Essentially batteries needed charging. Found another thread that has a chart on percentage and 47 volts is too low. Thanks for your help. Now I feel like a noob....lol.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #5
tbrown77
Not Yet Wild

I have the same issue, replaced the solenoid which helped, but still got the issue. When I check the batteries after it occurred, the voltage read 49.8v. They are 5 year old batteries. I know its time to change, but are they just sagging a lot more under load causing this?
tbrown77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:33 AM   #6
Half Vast
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown77 View Post
I have the same issue, replaced the solenoid which helped, but still got the issue. When I check the batteries after it occurred, the voltage read 49.8v. They are 5 year old batteries. I know its time to change, but are they just sagging a lot more under load causing this?
Reading that battery stack static voltage will only give you part of the story. You need to read the voltage under load (accelerating). I suspect you'll see a significant voltage drop under load.
Half Vast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:07 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Vast View Post
Reading that battery stack static voltage will only give you part of the story. You need to read the voltage under load (accelerating). I suspect you'll see a significant voltage drop under load.
Yes. Thank you. Do this test. I bet its dropping well into the 30's area. (Which is bad)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:13 PM   #8
tbrown77
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both, will be trying this weekend.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:12 AM   #9
USAF_GroundRat
Not Yet Wild

I had this same issue as originally posted, parked it for a year and just brought it in for service a week ago. Mechanic told me it was a burnt out motor and replaced it. He said that he has had to do this about 15 times in the past 6 months with Yamaha carts and his personal Yamaha cart was in his own shop for the same reason. Working great now.
USAF_GroundRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:28 AM   #10
tbrown77
Not Yet Wild

Finally measured the batteries during operation and was getting the significant sag. Replaced with a new set of T-875s and all is well.

Tags
run, start, stop, tow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha