lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2020, 05:00 PM   #11
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: ICON Owner's Master Thread (until more are created)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalst View Post
Thanks for playing around with this and finding a great solution to making these carts go a bit faster. I would like to bump up the speed closer to 35 mph. I think anything past that is pushing the safety issue. Good part is I have the DOT approved Steel belt tires more meant for higher speed vs standard tires. At 30 mph right now it is pretty stable vs the stock ones.

How do I go about getting the software to change the RPM's on the controller?
For the immediate time being, your best bet is talking to your dealer. I'm in a trusted position and I'm still learning a bunch of valuable info that I can't risk. I've decompiled the software and I'm trying to see if I can pull out just the "read/write" bits that I could possibly release.

A related interesting bit, in the controller/software, it accepts 2 RPM settings (low/high). Think turtle/rabbit on a law mower.

These are switched by pin #2 from the umbilical. So you can program 7000 (rabbit ~35mph) and 5000 (turtle ~25mph) and have a physical valet key that toggles between the two.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #12
capitalst
Not Yet Wild

Nice work btw. I can wait till this is clear on the best way to approach this. My dealer is out of state so that won't work for me. Keep me in mind if you do end up releasing this later on.
capitalst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #13
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalst View Post
Nice work btw. I can wait till this is clear on the best way to approach this. My dealer is out of state so that won't work for me. Keep me in mind if you do end up releasing this later on.
Will do.

An interesting side note for anyone looking at 12v accessories...I hooked up some big speakers & an amp to my cart, and when I have them ON but no music playing...they make a high-pitched noise whenever I depress the accelerator (Fwd or Rwd)?

It makes me think the 12v signal gets "dirty" when the engine is engaged or something...if I play music, I don't notice anything.

I'm wondering if I need some sort of line filter.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:03 PM   #14
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Hey Atrain

I far from being an expert...yet I wonder if creating a separate power supply
perhaps another but small from factor 12v agm battery might be a solution.
This would isolate your amp from the cart's main power supply...and fix the noise issue

Let us know what you come up with..
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:42 PM   #15
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
Hey Atrain

I far from being an expert...yet I wonder if creating a separate power supply
perhaps another but small from factor 12v agm battery might be a solution.
This would isolate your amp from the cart's main power supply...and fix the noise issue

Let us know what you come up with..
What's strange is I hooked into the same 12v lines that power the lights, signals, horn, dash, etc...

Now I'm wondering if it's something to do with general physics. The Kenwood amp is mounted right next to the DC/DC and motor, and the speakers are large and directly above it.

I'm curious if there's some strong electromagnetic field being generated that's impacting either the amp or the speakers directly through the air?

I'm trying to bug my electrical engineers that I know to see if they have any clues before I start physically moving components.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:57 PM   #16
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Atrain

You may have a point there....location location to avoid em interference..
If amp size allows... try placing your amp in one of the dash comparments
just to see if that solves the problem...

May also want to try a separate independent power source ..

Hope this helps
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #17
luvnhp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Rolling the ICON dice. I have an l60 coming next week from a local dealer. They were able to hook up a soundbar, but no luck on controller/software mods. Any specifics on speeding this thing up to go even faster would be greatly appreciated. Gracias
luvnhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #18
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhp View Post
Rolling the ICON dice. I have an l60 coming next week from a local dealer. They were able to hook up a soundbar, but no luck on controller/software mods. Any specifics on speeding this thing up to go even faster would be greatly appreciated. Gracias
I'll eventually have a solution. Software will be free but there is no way around the dongle thing that costs about $120 unless you borrow one that somebody else has. If I figure out the software maybe I'll just ship my cord around with deposit required.

Today I actually just figured out how to fix a bunch of the emi. I'll post an update this week... On the beach now typing this atm.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #19
luvnhp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you sir! I don't mind paying for an overpriced cable for some extra mph. Enjoy the beach!
luvnhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:08 PM   #20
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhp View Post
Thank you sir! I don't mind paying for an overpriced cable for some extra mph. Enjoy the beach!
So my server crashed when I was doing some unrelated, crazy things for work. It might be a few weeks before I have a chance to try and hack up the software some more.

I was actually going to look into remote-USB tech + RemoteApp/App-V to see if I could functionally accomplish the same thing...that might be the path of least resistance for the short term.

There are a ton of golf carts where I'm at in So-Cal, but Icon is just starting to catch on. I think I have the first 2 in my city, but I know the dealer is selling a ton of them 1 city away. I'm waiting for the opportunity to wave another ICON down and yell "hey you want some speed?"

I'll say having it at 33mph is pretty amazing. Not all 25mph roads are created equal...some of them people cruse 40mph and it's considered totally normal, where others are actually 25mph. Being able to do 33mph means on those long stretches, I can hang w/the cars without making them mad.

Tags
i40, i40l, i60l, icon, iconev
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon