lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2020, 08:28 AM   #1
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default SOC Battery Voltage Question

I looked at the SOC chart on BGW and then measured my batteries and pack voltage. 2018 Trojan T1260 batteries in 2010 RXV.

It had only been about 6 hrs from the time I removed the charger, but I was surprised to see the following readings:

Pack: 52.4V
Bat 1: 13.0V
Bat 2: 13.1V
Bat 3: 13.1V
Bat 4: 13.0V

All readings quite a bit higher than the 100% full charge values in the chart at 50.9V pack and 12.73V individual.

Is this normal ?
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: SOC Battery Voltage Question

My Trojan pack (8 x 6 V T-125's) is at 52.0 volts fully stabilized after a full charge.

6 hours is not enough to fully stabilize ... more like 12 to 24 hours to stabilize without use.

If you can't wait that long, let them stabilize for as long as you can, then take your cart for a couple hundred yard run, then let it stabilize for 10 minutes and measure the voltage again ... that should get you a pretty accurate state of charge reading.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The finish charge voltage for Trojan brand 12V batteries 16.2V, which equates to 64.8V for a 48V pack. (See attached chart)

While the cells in a battery are being charged, the electrolyte in intimate contact with the plates and the plate surfaces in intimate contact with the electrolyte acquire a higher state of charge than the the electrolyte and lead of the plates further away from each other. It is that "surface" charge that is read in the battery's terminals, but there is very little energy stored in it, so it is useless for estimating SoC. It takes several hours for the hyper-charged electrolyte and plate surfaces to equilibrate and pass a voltage that bater reflects the cell's true SoC.

The SoC charts are based on the average of a statistically significant population of mature batteries measured from 6 up to 24 hours after charging stops. For our purposes, 12 hours rest is typically used. New batteries may be above the voltage listed on the SoC charts, while old batteries may be below the listed voltage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan reccomended on-charge voltages.jpg (125.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys for the good information and explanations. Super helpful to a relative new comer to electric carts.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

following
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2000 View Post
following
FWIW: You can click on the "Thread Tools" on the bar above the first post on the page and subscribe to the thread instead of making a post in it.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevota Guy View Post
I looked at the SOC chart on BGW and then measured my batteries and pack voltage. 2018 Trojan T1260 batteries in 2010 RXV.

It had only been about 6 hrs from the time I removed the charger, but I was surprised to see the following readings:

Pack: 52.4V
Bat 1: 13.0V
Bat 2: 13.1V
Bat 3: 13.1V
Bat 4: 13.0V

All readings quite a bit higher than the 100% full charge values in the chart at 50.9V pack and 12.73V individual.

Is this normal ?
I have a digital meter hooked directly to the batteries on my RXV and is always on. I walk by it a lot during the day. I have observed that same phenomena over the years. Now with 4+ years and ~ 430 charge cycles the observed voltage of the pack is slightly lower at any equivalent time stamp. My guess is this is a sign of the inevitable decline in battery health. But this is just one measure and by itself means nothing.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:45 AM   #8
opelikamike
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My T1275 2018 Trojan batteries on my 2015 RXV mirror Chevota Guy's observations. I'll read voltages later today after cart hasn't been charged or driven for 12 hours.
opelikamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Something to remember about the SoC charts for Trojan brand batteries. They are based on testing of 6V batteries 30 or more years ago and Trojan has tweaked their design a few times since then.

Plus, the chargers commonly in use back then were the ferroresonant transformer type and shutoff at a predetermined voltage (45V +/-1V for a 36V battery pack) instead of fully charging the batteries. Modern charger use dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) technology to more fully charge batteries and the finish voltage is higher.

Also, I've been unable to find out what the battery temperature of the batteries tested were and temperature effects Voltage as well as storage capacity.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #10
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Something to remember about the SoC charts for Trojan brand batteries. They are based on testing of 6V batteries 30 or more years ago and Trojan has tweaked their design a few times since then.

Plus, the chargers commonly in use back then were the ferroresonant transformer type and shutoff at a predetermined voltage (45V +/-1V for a 36V battery pack) instead of fully charging the batteries. Modern charger use dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) technology to more fully charge batteries and the finish voltage is higher.

Also, I've been unable to find out what the battery temperature of the batteries tested were and temperature effects Voltage as well as storage capacity.
The point about temperature of the original data is a good one. I keep my cart in an AC garage at 82°F, and that it is likely warmer than factory OEM tests.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO