lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
TIKT B8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Motor or controller

I have a 2008 Drive that has always topped out at 15mph on flats/downhill and slowed to 10 uphill. I just got new batteries and had the PTV code put on. It gained me 1mph So I know the speed code took but after reading some of CGTech’s posts it just sounds like that’s all my motor has.

My neighbors all have carts as well and they are all able to top out at 22mph and it’s actually my wife who hates getting left behind. She wants to make it faster. She isn’t sold on a full controller/motor swap yet. I know they will both have to be replaced but beggars can’t be choosers.

So which should I do first? My goal is to get to about 20mph.
1) replace motor and hope the PTV code can get me to about 19-20 (I have 14” wheels on 205-30/14)

2) Replace the controller with an alltrax 400 and see if my engine can handle it and increase some speed? I know it will be a ticking time bomb before the motor goes kaboom but not sure which way to go.

Thoughts?
TIKT B8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
Tha_B_Man
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Motor or controller

I have an 07 Drive and did the solenoid and 400amp controller swap. I think it tops out around 21mph flat road with 6” lift with 23” tires. I have been extremely happy with the swap and still using original motor. I think it’s been close to two years since I switched the parts out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tha_B_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Motor or controller

If PTV unlock didnt get you 19mph, I have little confidence that a different controller will either. Having said that, at this point I'd probably get a FSIP motor 221-48VSPEEDEY. It should get you some more top speed, and is capable of more torque later on if you decide a new controller is a plan.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
TIKT B8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If PTV unlock didnt get you 19mph, I have little confidence that a different controller will either. Having said that, at this point I'd probably get a FSIP motor 221-48VSPEEDEY. It should get you some more top speed, and is capable of more torque later on if you decide a new controller is a plan.
A controller is definitely in the plans. My wife just balked at spending another 1300-1500 for motor and controller when I just bought new batteries and windshield. Would the alltrax 400 work well with the FSIP motor or would the 500 be a better choice? Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #5
TIKT B8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

@cgtech - I know that solenoid and cables are required for new controller, but is the motor plug and play? Anything else I need for the motor or anything you recommend? Thanks!
Old 05-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You would need new motor mounting bolts (original bolts are metric, new is 1/4-20), would need to crimp new "5/16 hole" ring terminals on your "F wires". The tach sensor is "plug & play" if you tell them what you are working on, and buy their matching adapter. Ths stock cables would be ok for now, as the motor upgrade didnt change controller max output. New cables will be required when new controller comes. Your stock solenoid is robust enough to use with upgrade controller & motor (stock solenoid ratings 600a intermittent, 225a continuous).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

OR, you could get a Electrical Motor Product (EMP) motor and go 24-25 MPH with no other changes. No cables, no controller. Where I am at, that's all we do and good to go. EMP, does not use the Hitachi motor, but uses a AMD motor . Cost wise, best bang for the buck
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #8
TIKT B8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Would I need to keep the spline bumper bushing that goes in the stock motor?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha