lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2018, 04:44 AM   #1
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default What's the life expectancy of a clutch drive belt?

I have a 2012 TXT with the Kawasaki engine and Team clutches and what I believe to be the original drive belt (#618630). It works fine and pulls well in all conditions but the drive belt makes a rubber grunting noise against the clutch sheaves as the buggy slows down to a halt and the clutches return to their stationary position. I've had the drive belt off and there is no apparent structural damage, cracks or damaged 'teeth' on the belt. The clutch sheaves are shiny, smooth and dry.

I was wondering whether the time might be coming when I need to replace the drive belt. Unfortunately, the buggy doesn't have an hour meter so I don't know how many hours it's done. It was used as a golf club hire cart for 4 years before I bought it but I use it for just 1 or 2 rounds of golf per week nowadays.
Peter W is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: What's the life expectancy of a clutch drive belt?

Wear is all in the width of the belt, new they are 1 3/16"
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
It was not the question, data he must have...

To answer, I am afraid engine hours are not really the answer as staying hours at the same speed has nothing to see with a continuous speed change... Now it is a good question *smile
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
No, the Team clutch belts (EZGO Part #618630) are 1.25 inches wide new. Sadly, they are also more expensive than the other EZGO belts, too.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
cartpartsplusman
Getting Wild
Club Car

get a gboost belt it will outlast the clutchs
cartpartsplusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter W View Post
No, the Team clutch belts (EZGO Part #618630) are 1.25 inches wide new. Sadly, they are also more expensive than the other EZGO belts, too.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #7
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartpartsplusman View Post
get a gboost belt it will outlast the clutchs
Yes, I'd love to but Gboost's shipping charges to the United Kingdom are incredibly high and no outlets in the UK seem to import them. On Gboost's website it's $49 for their standard Gboost belt plus $102 to ship it to the UK! Then there's 20% Import Duty (= $9.80) to pay to the UK Government on the purchase price of the belt itself. A total of over $160 is more than I'm willing to pay when I can get a standard EZGO 618630 belt via Amazon Global shipping for an all-in price of a few cents over $80.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
fchafey
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I see this is an old thread, however I would like to add my own experience with an EZ GO TXT drive belt. We purchased the cart in April 2018 new from Capitol Carts, Georgetown, Texas. I have replaced the oil/filter every 6 mounts and each year, the plug, fuel filter, oil filter and air filter as well as lube the one point on the steering arm. The manual never talks about drive belt wear, only the starter/generator belt wear. The wife and I play a ton of golf at the Courses of Clear Creek, Fort Hood. By a ton I mean just over 200 rounds each a year. Yesterday o n our 19th hole of the day, with one to go, the cart just wouldn't go any longer. The clutches spun but no movement up a gentle slope. The forward reverse cable as well as the rear mechanism was fine. We got pushed in to the barn and trouble shot it to the cart moving forward and reverse flat and level, but nothing more. I am an old aircraft mechanic so time to do some data mining for a reason as well as call the cart fleet attendant and poke his brain. The belt is worn out after almost 4 years as the inside of the belt is sloped on both sides pretty severe and looking at a new belt the inside is the same width as the outside. The belt gets her tomorrow and I am sure it will solve the problem. My only gripe is I got no forewarning the belt was about to crash. When the wrong plug got put in a tune up kit, it showed itself as a 5ES definitely isn't close to a 2Es. Cart didn't run right, troubleshot and fixed it. The belt thing just showed up boom. I now know the belt is only good for almost 4 years of hauling a 240 pound male and 150 pound female around a golf course a whole lot....usually too fast....thanks for listening.
fchafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #9
fchafey
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Replaced the belt tonight. Simple. Still no drive ability. Both clutches close on the belt, the front making the belt wider, the rear driving it smaller, no power on any kind of incline at all. Looks like it is headed to the shop. Good grief.
fchafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:13 AM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Sounds like a stripped wheel hub.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO