View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 09:55 PM   #28
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: Cart made a loud noise and stopped working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
The spring looks like a "stock replacement" but not Yamaha brand. I would try and get Yamaha brand, but it might be ok. Quality sometimes comes into play with Amazon parts like this. It's probably made in China so....

I would call Plowman's and get one from him. He might even have the stock springs on hand.

Top speed? Technically the spring has nothing to do with top speed. Top speed is always a function of engine rpm and gearing.

With that said, that big white spring may not have been allowing your secondary clutch to fully shift, which would make it not reach the top speed your cart is capable of, so in that sense, you might get a higher top speed than you were getting before.
I'll give Plowman a call tomorrow, but I might just pull the trigger and gamble on the Amazon spring.

I'm going back to my high school physics, but I was thinking that with these CVT's, torque and speed were inversely related...but I could be wrong...it's been years.

I thought the bigger, rigid spring increases torque in exchange for higher RPM's, and lowering the torque (spring) would cause the secondary clutch to engage sooner at lower RPMs and also stay engaged longer at the higher RPMs, thus higher speed? Not sure though...one way to find out!
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote