View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 03:48 AM   #31
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: toro workman belt problems and acceleration

OK,

Go ahead and try just bridging the blue and violet wires at the pedal switch connector after removing it from the pedal switch to see if it works. (remember to put the gear lever in neutral first) then turning the ignition switch should start the engine turning over. If it does, push the gas pedal and the engine should start and rev up. Then test to make sure switching off the ignition kills the engine (try to keep the engine running at a fast idle with the gas pedal. Make sure the engine is running, NOT just turning on the starter motor. If the engine dies, then the conversion works. If not we will have to look at it again. Do NOT put the plug back on the pedal switch. just leave it bridged and tuck it out of the way. All you have to do now, is adjust the idle screw on the carb, to make the engine run at idle speed but not operate the drive clutch. If you do not do this, the engine will not actually be running, but just turning on the starter and draining your battery. Don't forget to check that the battery is charging while the engine is running.

If this does not work.

Lets take a look at the ignition switch. your model should have five terminals on the back according to the technical manual and going by the serial number. Earlier models had a four terminal key switch. Both however should have a kill wire connected to it. This would be the primary engine kill switch. The secondary kill switch is part of the pedal switch on the normally closed contacts as previously described. If you have the cart running all the time the ignition switch is on, the pedal switch is no longer needed.

If you have the five terminal switch it can be used to start the engine independently of the pedal switch by first turning the ignition switch to on, Which disconnects the kill connection, then you turn the key a bit more against a spring, to start the engine. the key then returns to the on/run position. To do this you just move the blue wire from the pedal switch and connect it to the "S" connection on the back of the ignition switch. If you have only the four terminal ignition switch you do not have this option and need to buy the correct ignition switch. We would also have to re wire the charge circuit to work properly as doing it this way will disengage the solenoid while running and not charge the battery. Therefore I suggest not doing it this way at the moment.

DISCLAIMER

For your safety.

If all this works as described, please make sure that when you stop the cart that you move the gear lever to neutral and engage the park brake to prevent any chance of the cart moving when you are off of it.

Having described how to do what you want, I must state that you are doing this out of your own choice and the only reason I am helping is that the cart can be put in neutral to disengage drive to the wheels. Personally I would leave it as pedal start and stop

I do not condone doing this conversion with a gas golf cart that has no neutral position on the forward reverse selector, although many people have done it.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote