View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
Doug Stuart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 06 Precedent Brake Lights Relay Failure

I have an 06 48v Precedent that has blown through two relay switches for the rear brake lights. The horn also stopped working, but I am not sure if it is related. The cart has 4/12v setup and the lights are factory tied to one 12v source.

The kit is a Rec Pro LED and has worked perfect for the last year. It is tied into the factory wiring harness and I have both +12v and -12v at the relay. When I bypass the relay the brake light system works fine. Timer works as it is supposed to, although I am not sure what the 4th (blue/white) wire is feeding off of the relay.

As for the horn, I have checked continuity on the switch and wiring and both are good. Again, not sure if it is tied into the 4th wire on the relay.

Upon initially checking all connections I found that the +12 lead to the brake light switch was loose and corrected that issue. The system came to life and worked for a few minutes before I noticed the relay getting warm...not hot, just warm. That is when it stopped working.

I have checked the relay with an ohm meter and there is no resistance in the circuit. I also do not hear any clicking upon charging it with 12v so I am pretty certain that the second relay is toast.

I am stumped as to what may be causing this issue.

Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated as relays can get expensive.
Doug Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote