View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
beachguysc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax XCT install pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
And that is why I left this in the "Install Pic" thread so it helps others...

To answer your question - Yes they are both needed- but let me explain a little more to help know "why".

(Coil Diode) The small posts are the connection to your energizing coil which closes in the contacts after the 48v Pos and Neg inputs are supplied. When the electrical field breaks/opens, energy is released and to protect it, there is a suppression diode required that absorbs this energy to prevent damage. That is why it is a must that the striped/banded end of the diode be installed on/and facing the same small post as the Positive Activation wire....

(Regen Diode) The large posts pass current through them when the energizing coil closes and pulls the contacts up. If the controller was to lose power while the regen circuit was active (which would take a switch/electrical failure or key being turned off), it could damage the controller. That is why it is a must that the striped/banded end of the regen diode be installed on/and facing the same large post as the Main Pack Pos battery cable....

All the Alltrax manuals and current revision G electrical drawing reflect them both in the correct orientation. (see attached)
Is the coil diode the yellow one in my pic that was previously on my cart? The red one on ground beneath yellow on is the one that cam with solenoid that is currently installed from large post to large post.

beachguysc is offline   Reply With Quote