View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Quiet clone mufflers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
I read it your muffler thread Ray. There was a lot of info in there. 58 pages worth.🤯
Still, it’s helpful to see what others have tried and changed. I have a yamaha golf cart muffler that I’m going to try and see how effective it is. I also still have my original CC muffler from the KF82 that I could try with some flexhaust after I cut the flange off of it. Then there’s the Walker 22229 or the Thermoking unit that Slo suggested. It’s the final big piece of the puzzle. I hope I don’t have to try them all, that’s a lot of cutting and welding.
Regarding stock Yamaha muffler.....look at the inlet and outlet of that muffler. Sure it's going to be quiet, probably the quietest of the bunch. But it will be suffocating that engine to death with backpressure that will kill your power.

The rule of thumb with exhausts: the smaller the pipe, the more backpressure, the lower the peak power. The larger the pipe, the less backpressure, the peak power will be higher. There is a point where zero backpressure occurs, and this can sometimes hurt your engines performance depending upon the engine type etc. Power curves also change with small exhaust changes. So no single setup will work best in all engines.

What you are doing is the right thing. You are trying different setups to determine for yourself what will work best. Sound and seat of the pants performance feel are all subjective. You can talk to 100 people, they will all have different review opinions on their setup and some will try and convince you to read their threads and do what they did.

Don't take our word for it. Use your intelligence, research, and have fun with it, make your own decision. Following....
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote