View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
TRP
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ted's 1989 Club Car DS - the evolution of a sporting clays cart

Hey Gang,

It's been a busy few weeks out here in California. Even with all that - I've made some progress on the cart.

I managed to get the following items installed:
Sporting clays basked (needed to modify the brackets to get it to fit properly)
The Rear Flip Flop seat (installed without any issues at all.)
1993 and up Club Car DS headlights. (Tail lights to come)
New Pedals (Brake, Hill brake, and 'go' pedal)

I started working on:
The used 80" top I picked up - complete for 80.00!!

Still to do:
Fender Flares, Gun Rack, Black diamond plat kick sill, and finish the top.

Above you will see that it's really starting to come together. The 80" top was a nice score. It had a few cracks in the edge and one larger one in the front. I managed to drill the cracks out and 'notch' them with a V using my dremel tool. Once they were sanded, drilled, and notched - I filled the cracks with ZB weld. The cracks sealed up really nicely! Nice and strong. Next up? Paint the rear seat/top bars and the top frame the same satin black. Then I will Herculiner the entire plastic section.

The sporting clays basket should have been the easiest thing to install. However, I needed to drill new holes about 3/8ths of an inch inward on the brackets. As it came, there was a 3/4 inch gap between the basket bracket and the basket brackets. Not a big deal, as I have the tools. Just not something I expected. I think I will fabricate a new bracket for the front of the basket. As it stands now, only those two windshield / top 'body' brackets secure the basket to the cart. The brackets are really far 'back' on the cart. I would have expected there to have been a 'front' bracket someplace. The current mounting system allows the basket to 'flop around' like a diving board. I can't imagine this will be good for the body/frame of the cart. I will most likely build something to tie into the lower front bumper bracket. Ugly? yes. Functional? Yes.

The rear flip flop seat went in without any issues at all.

As you can see, the 93 and up headlight kit for the Club Car DS, does work on an 88. You need to cut the holes a bit larger than if you were installing them on a 93. You need the extra room to make them fit across the top lip of the cowl.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote