View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: EZGO Restoration Project - NEED HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRider420 View Post
I have a few questions, first, I cannot afford the $450 for six golf cart batteries, I was thinking about using 3 12V deep cycle batteries instead, will this work? I know it will have reduced run time, but will it affect the motor at all?
It will work, the problem is you'll end up killing the batteries in a matter of months. Their not made as good as cart batteries and your run time won't be sh*t which will cause you to run the batteries till their completely drained (something your not supose to be doing). This will cause premature failure of the batteries. you would be so much ahead to get a set of "Golf Cart" batteries

Second, can I run more than 36V on the motor without damaging it, say 4 12V batteries. How many volts can u run before it starts wearing the motor down? What would be a safe voltage for full-throttle use weekendly for running around and having fun?
This would work better as far as battery life and run time. The motor should handle the extra volts with no problems. You will need a 48v solenoid to make this work also the charger is going to cost more and 4 good deep cycle batteries will cost the piss out of ya. Just get the "Golf Cart" batteries, it will save you from having to buy a set in 6 months
The reason there are 3 wheel carts is because of they have a better turning radius than the 4 wheel one, age has little to do with it. simply put, you can get a 3 wheel cart into more places than you can a 4 wheel one. this is why they're so well suited for industrial work.
Nice vids and remember you can always take the running gear and batts and stick them in a different cart down the road if you decide you want a 4 wheel one.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote