View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 10:33 PM   #9
MauiHoss
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 EZGO PCX-954 -- Steering Box Parts

I'm a little late to the party again. Just read through some of the new comments and wanted to add that my bearings are shot again after only three years. Just pulled the bottom cap off and all the bottom-end ball bearings were free from the plastic cage. This is probably due to the fact that the passenger-side kingpin bushings are toast. I have not been able to find the correct replacement bushings and would probably need to pull the axle to press them in. By now, the kingpin/hub assembly is likely ruined. The clock is ticking for the old PCX-954.

When I put my steering box back together, I put the thrust washer under the bottom bearing race. So -- from bottom to top -- bottom cap, thrust washer, bearing race, ball bearing in cage. The steering shaft has an integrated bearing race and does not appear to be replaceable. I don't see how the thrust washer would have worked on the top of the ball bearings as it would be located between the ball bearings and the upper race but perhaps that's what caused the early failure. I'll have to take a closer look this time around to see if there's a seat for that washer on the steering shaft.

BTW -- I'm really glad that this thread has been helpful for some others with these increasingly rare carts. The only reason I came back to it myself was to refer to my own write-up and found useful info from fellow owners. Thanks for that!
MauiHoss is offline   Reply With Quote