View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 10:33 PM   #7
Senorclavo
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

Default Re: 1989 EZGO PCX-954 -- Steering Box Parts

Your paying it forward thread has really helped Maui! Thank you.

I have the same symptoms, nearly unusable steering, gritty/grinding, and with water coming out of gear box when I pulled of the adjustment screw. I have a mid 80s Pargo/Eagle personnel carrier. It is a 954xxxxx model. I think Ezgo bought Eagle and it is basically the same cart. Anyway, the manual I found and your link are virtually identical as far as the steering box breakdown and illustration. I ordered the worm shaft bearing kit and as you say, they fit the housing nicely.

My question to whomever may know: this worm gear kit has a single "thrust" washer. But neither illustration I see has it depicted. When I opened my steering box, there was one in the box but everything was so mangled that I don't know where it was installed. Where does it go? I assume the bottom bearing but on which side? Between the race and bearings or between the bottom of the shaft and bearings?

Additional information: the steering gearbox in my cart is labeled Ross T122964 G1. I also believe it was made in 1983 as there is a marking on the casting I believe to be man for date code. I believe Ross to be the manufacturer. Also, the thing was full of grease not oil. This seems reasonable to me and I second Maui opinion that it's probably supposed to be grease not oil even though there is an oil fill plug.
Senorclavo is offline   Reply With Quote