View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: High speed gear ratio recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
The controller, motor combo are fine as long as he as upgraded wires and solenoid (And after spending that cash on the motor and controller, i'm sure he does).

It's the overall speed that gets me. I can see how in a gas cart it's nice to have the ability to go that fast, because then cruising ~20mph the motor is happy just idling along and it'll last a ton longer. But I don't know if that's the same in an electric or not, most electric motors prefer to be run wide open and it's actually harder on them to go half speed.
It should not matter as much if it is a PWM controller, but I don't know much about GC controllers. I ride trails for hours at times so gas is much better for me. Unless you mean the motors cool better at higher rpm?

That is true with gas stock gears and 22s I can run about 25 before its full shift and rpm goes up, after 30 it screams to where ever your motor will run to. With mods on mine it goes over 5K easily, but its not something you want to do for long. In my case stock gears are powerful on the trail at lower speeds and I can wind it up for short distance to next trail or corner/etc. Mostly we run 20-25 depending on trail surface. Running roads I would want more gear, but if I do its not a paved road so we rarely go over 30 anyway, its not a race.

There is no doubt when you pass about 30mph things change and you are moving, you can get hurt. You often need good smooth paved conditions and tight cart to run over 35 with confidence. I ran 42 on pavement other day and it seemed very fast to me, but I have no roof/windshield either and steering started to get touchy its only good for 38mph lol. I am sure it would go faster with HS gears but I don't run paved roads anyway and don't really want to go that fast. I feel a lot safer in a utv that runs 60mph rock solid with a cage and belts.

But some people live where they can run paved roads, and then you want to set them up to cruise at least 30. It is a different use than I have.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote