View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 11:38 PM   #7
orangecart75
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 Marathon coil spring rate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
orangecart75 your cart weights around 800 lbs. plus your weight? plus who ever rides with you. You have to take that weight in to consideration
OK, I'm bumping this again. Why? Because I'm not satisfied with the answer. I understand the cart itself weighs in around 700-800 lbs but not all of that weight is sprung weight. You have to take into account the unsprung weight of the vehicle and subtract that out. Now what that is...I don't know. Looking at a simple picture of an empty cart you'll see the engine, clutches, axles, wheels, etc. are unsprung weight. The big ticket items I'm seeing are the gas tank, battery and frame/body. Plus whomever rides.

With that said I think you're better off thinking the cart is 300 lbs sprung. This of course is nothing more than a SWAG. Add in your peeps and total up the weight. The front again has leaves but the rear coils will be doing most of the work. I'm thinking you'd be better off with a 250 rate.

edit: also, it's worth mentioning that when looking at spring rates the one that is stated (250 lbs for example) means that it takes 250 lbs to compress the spring 1". If the spring compresses 2" then that means you have provided 500 lbs of force. I think we're going overkill on these rates IMO.

edit2: last thing I wanted to mention. These coils are the same as a standard coilover spring. 2.5" ID. The Marathon's need a 14" coil in order to do the 4" lift. These coils can be found lots of places especially on offroad websites. Google search "coilover spring exchange" and I think you'll find some places. Maybe even a place owned by a guy named Dave... *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* that has clearance coils from time to time. I found a set for stupid cheap.
orangecart75 is offline   Reply With Quote