View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: DS FE290 Starter

Battery, Cable Connections, Belt. Those are simple and almost always the cause of starting problems. No point buying a new starter right off the bat because Starters on these rarely fail, and when they get old enough it's dirt simple to put new brushes in and keep on using the original for many more years.

Make sure your battery is good first. An old battery won't have the amps anymore to be able to run the starter motor.
Poor battery connections or cables corroded internally will cause slow cranking.
Poor ground connections, starter to frame, engine to frame, frame to battery, can cause slow cranking.
A loose or worn starter belt will slip can cause a faint whirring noise that sometimes people don't hear or don't know what it is. If your belt is old or it's a Non-OEM belt, a new genuine OEM belt can solve a lot of problems.

Lots of people blame the starter and just toss it, but really there's very little to go wrong in the starter, and most of the time a $40 set of brushes and a can of electrical parts cleaner will have an original starter working as good as new again.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote