View Single Post
Old 08-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2004 Ezgo PDS Brake Modifications

As most of us learn quickly, the stock brakes leave a bit to be desired. Perfect for their intended use but lacking with back seats, loads, big wheels or speed. Plus adjusting the cables constantly to have brakes at all is a PIA.
I had already bought the Ausco mechanical disc brake kit and used it for a few years. Though better than stock, same problems arose. Constant cable stretch. Plus I did hear a bit of drag occasionally and I hate that.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439560356.691998.jpg

So I started doing a little research. Ezgo hubs run a 4x100mm bolt pattern. Turns out a few cars do or did too. I bought a pair of early Miata discs for 24 bucks each no core at the local auto parts. Funny thing is the wheel studs for the Ezgo are larger in diameter than the Miata's. Not a problem I just enlarged the holes to match the new hub.
I bought discs for the fronts. If I were to do it again I would purchase the rear discs as they are not vented (thick, heavy and not needed). Using the thinner discs would allow more caliper options too. Nice 4 pots from a motorcycle for example?
I looked on eBay for master cylinders. Though plenty of options I didn't want to fabricate everything if possible. I ran across an AP Racing pull type master cylinder. Odd unit I had never seen. They are used in pedal boxes and such. Typically used once in NASCAR applications and then sold for pennies on the dollar. IIRC I paid 50 bucks (450 new!). I do still see them and though and they work well but I am still looking for a more affordable option. However in its defense, the mounting used all stock parts in a different configuration. I did have to drill 1 hole right between the 2 holes where the stock brake cables were installed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439561045.640294.jpg

I tried to retain the spring in the thought it would retain the original parking brake. Neat thought but bleeding the brakes proved it put a constant tension on the system. Not what I wanted at all. I could probably adjust the tension out but it turns out it isn't needed. Less parts, less weight, faster acceleration, higher speeds and easier to stop No brainier then.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439561271.153229.jpg

Here is the disc mounted. I do have a lathe and mill (actually a few) so I am able to do a few mods. The discs did require to ID of the hat to be opened ever so slightly to clear the Ezgo hub. The holes for the wheel studs also had to be enlarged but that was simple hand drill stepping up the right size. Here is the disc alone.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439561466.215562.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439561513.810665.jpg

I then cruised the junk yard to find the suitable calipers or something I wanted to build brackets for. I originally went for front calipers. In hindsight I think the rear calipers would be better (usually single piston and smaller overall units) my thought is less pressure needed and plenty of pad contact area to work well in this app. I ended up buying some Hyundai Elantra calipers, bolts and stock flexible lines. That last part was the correct decision. As you can see my lines are mounted to the bottom of the shock bolts giving excellent support and protection plus it looks factory!
Fastest1 is offline   Reply With Quote