View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #1906
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default O-I_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
This idea is related to a recent thread about the clicking sound from the Reverse Contactors when powered by the Foot Switch.

This idea is related to a recent thread about the clicking sound from the Reverse Contactors when powered by the Foot Switch.

I don't like the prevailing implementation method of having the Reverse Contactor turn ON/OFF with the pedal switch for a few reasons.

I understand the reason it is recommended:
If the Reverse Contactor is powered by the key switch and You forget the Key Switch ON, the high power reversing Contactor coil can overheat and get damaged.

Unfortunately having the Reverse Contactor turn ON/OFF with the pedal can
cause more stress and perhaps shorter life for the contacts.

The reason is that when You lift your foot off the pedal, the Controller stops the current flow from M- to B- which also stops all current going through the Solenoid so the contacts of the Solenoid open with no load.

That is not the case on the Reversing Contactor as current continues to flow for a little longer, perhaps at high levels depending on the torque conditions when the pedal was released.

This idea uses a re-settable time off delay relay that keeps power to the Reversing Contactor for 5 minutes after the pedal is UP.

So if you are driving or maneuvering and lift your foot off the pedal for less than 5 minutes to slow down or stop, the Reversing Contactor stays energized as it should.

If You stop longer than 5 minutes or turn the key OFF, the Reversing Contactor goes OFF immediately.

The 5 minutes is just my example, the device below can adjusted from 0.1 sec to 10 days delay.

To make adjustments You need to use both dials, for the 5 minutes delay example You would set range to 10 minutes and the percentage to 50%.

GAEYAELE GRT8-B1,AC/DC12V-240V Relay:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...D4HXVRT2&psc=1

Use a male quick connect on the input side connection from the delay Relay and a matting female quick connect on the delay relay output that goes to the FNR.

That would allow for a quick by-pass in case of a failure of the delay relay.

Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote