View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Gas 2000 Club Car Ds clutch adjustment

There's no adjustment for the clutch other than changing the spring in the center. The primary clutch is centifugal, so it closes based on engine RPM. It should start to engage as soon as the engine is actually running, but it should just barely grab the belt. If its grabbing hard and forcing the cart forward or jerking hard, then there may be an adjustment issue with the governor cable, or the throttle stop screw on the carb.

When you push the pedal you'll hear the micro-switches on the throttle cam click. That gives power to the solenoid and makes the starter generator turn. Make sure the governor cable (runs from the governor arm to the throttle lever on the carb) is NOT pulling the throttle open when the switches click. the throttle should not start to pull open until you push the pedal a bit further down. If the throttle is being pulled open, the engine will start at a higher than normal speed, and will jerk on the belt when it engages. It will also cause problems starting in cooler weather.
First make sure you have plenty of slack in the governor cable. And make sure there is not a Zip tie on the throttle cable spring where it meets the governor arm. (If there is a zip tie on the spring cut it off because that can cause your issue) After the switches click, you should have another 1/4" to 1/2" of pedal travel before the cable starts to pull the throttle lever open. To change this, adjust the throttle cable from the black box to the governor by moving the adjusting nuts at the box housing in or out. If you can not get the proper amount of adjustment that way, then you will need to adjust the governor arm which is more tricky to do.

Another thing that can cause high engine speed at start is the throttle stop screw is turned too far in, and is holding the throttle plate too far open. Make sure you have plenty of slack in the governor cable, and that it's not pulling against the throttle lever. Turn the stop screw all the way out until it is no longer touching the throttle arm. Now turn it back in until it just barely touches, then give it an extra 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote