Club Car

Default Re: Taillight repair help! [Precedent]

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
this look like resistor ?
Nada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The photo is blurry, but a capacitor does not make any sense in that circuit...
It is most likely a diode used to protect the LEDs from reverse polarity.
Not much I can do about the picture- its my camera with a magnifying glass- I can't even read it with my own eyes.
Thanks for identifying the diode though.

Quote:
You can buy a 1N4004 diode at RadioShack for under 25cents, it has 400v reverse voltage and 1A forward current which should be enough to drive the 5 LEDs.
Awesome, I'll check it out.

Quote:
If you cannot read the color bands in the current limiting resistor, just put a meter to the one on the good light (make sure it is unplugged from anything else). Just buy the standard size closest to the resistance reading from the meter (likely under 300ohms).
Just to clarify, both taillights are non-operational, only the passenger side one caught on fire.
There's one good resistor left on the circuit board I can clearly read. I mainly just needed help figuring out what exactly the diode was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Take a better picture of the damaged components. I agree with Sergio that one of them is a diode not a capacitor. I would expect a diode and a resistor or multiple resistors.
I can't really do any better, as stated above this was my camera with a magnifying glass in front. These components are tiny.
By looking at the 'good' taillight there are 2 resistors and a diode in addition to the 5 LEDs, so you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jantrree View Post
Why waste all that time and money with LED. Just get standard 12V OEM type taillights and plug them in. They cost much less.
As previously stated, they look cool.
However, I've never come across 'cheap' OEM Precedent taillights- I'd be more than happy to purchase a set if anyone can provide a link to a legitimate seller.
$94 is just outrageous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offtwice View Post
I have brand new taillights that I am not going to use - willing to sell for a reasonable price - wouldn't mind getting them out of my garage
Depending on the outcome of my repair attempts, or purchasing OEM lights, I would consider it. :)
graysonk95 is offline   Reply With Quote