View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: melted battery and hot wires

The same amount of current flows in both cables, so the negative cable and connectors have more resistance than the positive cable and connectors.

Because the stock cable lugs are the open type, the cable strands themselves are exposed to the acid-laden air in the battery compartment and corrode internally, so the unacceptably high resistance may be withing the cable itself and invisible to visual inspection.

My cables looked good, but I got a noticeable improvement in low end performance when I replaced all 10 high current cables with 2Ga with closed end lugs that were silver soldered on and the gap between the insulation and lug sealed airtight. Of course, there wasn't any change in top speed since the PDS controller limits max motor RPM.

If I'm deciphering your username correctly, a PDS might not be the best platform for Muddin'

Don't get me wrong, I love my PDS, but I limit my off-roading to cross country instead of driving through bogs.

Unless you are planning on upgrading to a 500A or higher controller, 4Ga will probably suffice, but 2Ga is only a few dollars more.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote