View Single Post
Old 12-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #8
RideSolo
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Ridesolo's '68 HD Utilicar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
Very welcome. So have you used that method to clean carbs before, and if so how well does it work?
Yeah, it's a tried-and-true practice with the folks who rebuild old motorcycles. It works well on carbs, petcocks, and pretty much any other cruddy part you can get into your cleaner. I guess there are cleaning solutions you can get but the most standard consensus I've come across is PineSol, boiling hot water, and a few drops of Dawn. My little ultrasonic cleaner was purchased for $4 at a thrift store and was made by Brookstone. As you can see in the pix, I pretty well had it maxed out capacity wise. There are bigger ones out there, mine was probably made for smaller items like jewelry. HOWEVER, you don't have to spend big $$ to get the job done! The popular and quite successful work-around I've seen is a coffee can with a cheap pad sander taped to it. I know, it sounds stupid, but it works amazingly well. Here are some pix of the cleaned parts. The pix don't do justice to how nice they look.

RideSolo is offline   Reply With Quote