Old 11-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"
Default Re: 83 Marathon resistor cart project

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Believe me there is no noticeable difference between a 83 and 84 Marathon... Besides a mod will come along sooner or later and help.... So what are the upgrade plans?
You're assuming I can "plan"

First step is to get over to the shop and set up a tarp canopy that I can heat in the winter. Next is to get the cart there and yank the batteries. I'll bring the batteries back here, put 'em in the basement, and see if I can rejuvenate them. I've been checking them after each use/recharge cycle - looks like I've got 2 pretty good Trojans (6.35-6.41V after charge and 6 hours rest). Another two batteries are running around 6.25V, and the last two are junk - 6.05 and 6.13V after charge and rest. I'll use the last two for my mad scientist experiments. I have noticed a slight improvement in all the batteries after charging each time. If there was a way to post a spreadsheet, I'd pop it here so folks like JohnnyB could look at it and give me some advice.

Once I have the cart at the shop, I'll begin to strip it down and assess the situation. I already know I'm gonna need to either fab a new battery tray, or buy one. I want to knock the rust off everything, probably need to weld some structural support to the frame where the battery trays were. My buddy will help me do some body work - bang out the dents in the body. I'll need to fix the hole in the battery compartment.

I've been reading other folks' rebuild threads - I'm leaning towards using Ospho to strip the rust, then prime and paint the frame, probably with rattle cans - I don't care what it looks like so long as the hidden parts are rust resistant. I'm also considering painting the hidden stuff with bed liner - some folks have used that. I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it.

Another possibility, body-wise, is to just replace the body. There's a guy about 80 miles away who has a plastic EZGO body on Craigslist for $75. Don't know if it'll fit, will defer to the hive mind here to let me know:

If I can make that fit, it'll probably shave some weight off the cart - I'm amazed at the gauge of the sheet metal in the body. Reminds me of my Dad's old '53 Packard! The plastic stuff HAS to be lighter.

Next step is to decide on an electronic controller. There's an EZGO dealer here in town, I might see if they'll let me go through their junk pile looking for a serial motor controller. If I remember correctly, the later Marathon models replaced the resistor with an electronic chopper. Of course, I'll need to fab some linkage at the wiper assembly to push/pull/rotate either one of the inductive throttles (ITV?) or a 0-5k/5-0kOhm pot, depending on the controller. The other option is to go with one of the AXE controllers for a serial cart. At someone's urging, I took a look under the floor mat. There's no access panel or box where the stock inductive throttle or potentiometer would go. I saw a thread here somewhere where they whipped up some linkage and a frame for the throttle where the wiper assembly lives.

There's a whole other pile of things I'll need to do - disassemble the brakes and rear end, clean that up and replace what needs replacin'. The brakes seem OK, but I'll know more when I get 'em apart. There's about 30 degrees of play in the steering. Imagine a clock face - I can put my hand at the 12 o'clock position and move the steering wheel to 11 o'clock without moving the front tires - 360/12 = 30. Could be the pinion gear in the rack, could be the tie rod ends. Won't know 'til I get it all apart.

I'll need to replace the tires - they look to be original - the two on the front actually have some tread, but the back tires are just about racing slicks. They're 18", I read here somewhere that you can go up to 22" without a lift kit (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong).

I bought a top (without the support posts) off Craigslist. It looks to be from a TXT. Hope I didn't overpay for it ($40). I was thinking of using EMT conduit to build a frame to hold it up.

This may end up uglier than it started out. I'm going to try to stay pretty low budget - the local EZGO dealer has a 90's TXT for $1600. I'll look pretty stupid if I spend $2000 on this '84!

I've got my work cut out for me, that's for sure. It may end up being the most expensive $290 bargain I ever had!

I plan to post my progress here, and look forward to suggestions and wisdom from you guys...

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote