View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 11:13 PM   #23
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Shorter Belts and 28 degree driven clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynhawaiian1 View Post
Ruredy,
I just got my new belt today. Went outside to change the belts out and found that the new belt is wayyyy to short. I know you said it would be tight but would'nt fit. So I measured my belt and it is 47 3/4's OD. So, I guess I wasted some money on this belt. I did some research and found the ST480 uses that size belt. I guess the PO had the ST480 clutch installed. Is this what you are calling the 28* clutch? If it is I am just wondering how glen is using a stock belt on his? I found a belt that I think is for a Columbia drive belt that is 1 3/16 X 47 1/2 OD I guess this would be kind of the same idea as the 1in. shorter belt just not as short. Do you have a suggestion of a belt that would be a 1in shorter than what I have?

Rob
The belt mod and belt numbers are for a stock cart, not one with a v-twin in it. I'm guessing your cart has a v-twin (the st480 is a v-twin cart also). The 28deg clutch and the 36deg one are the same size, you can't tell the difference between them unless you look at the stamped number on it. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough about that being for a stock engine cart, the 28deg clutch would be a good choice if you don't already have one. As for the belt I'm not really sure about that one, I know my 480 doesn't need a shorter belt but it does have the 28 deg clutch on it.