View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Conductive electrical grease?

@ kab69440: I'm too lazy to roll my own.
BTW - Graphite is conductive, or at least the carbon in it is.
I had a teacher in a basic electronic course give the class a homework project. He held up a sheet of paper with about thirty resistors connected in series and parallel drawn on it and asked, "What is the resistance between Point A and Point B?". When asked, he projected it onto a screen so we could all copy it at the same time instead of passing the paper around, which would have taken forever.
The next day, we twenty students had about a dozen different answers because it was a complex circuit, not everybody copied it exactly and we were using slide rules (remember those things?).
Everybody groaned when the teacher used an Ohmmeter to measure the resistance of the actual lines drawn in pencil (graphite) between Point A and Point B.

@ multifasited: I haven't been able to find "Nolox", are you sure of the spelling?
I've been using Vaseline, which works okay keeping the corrosion in check, but does nothing for conductivity.
I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone.

@ tece50: Been using Tweek and similar stuff on RCA plugs and critical connections for years, but it's designed for filling nearly microscopic voids and the voids on my battery terminals and lugs aren't microscopic.
It would work well on the Controller bus bar connections and motor studs, since those are smooth and they are not in the acid laden air that exists close to the battery tops.

@ yurtle: It works. Ever hear of relays or contactors with Mercury wetted contacts?
The real reason I don't use it (in addition to an outrageous fine if caught) is that it offers no protection against corrosion and I'm looking for something that does both.

Thanks to all that replied. The quest continues.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote