View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
MPH
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hooked up my Delta-Q charger and what is the correct way to test your batteries..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
Very informative post - Don't take this the wrong way - Here is my question.
Don't worry it would take a h3ll of a lot more than that to offend me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
Why are you going through all this trouble in testing 6+ year old batteries?

More info please
Good question and here is my answer... just bought the cart and before I found this site I would not of even been able to tell you what year the cart was much less the batteries.

I bought the cart for my wife to get the kids around the pits while I drag raced and then next year to use as a tow vehicle for my daughter's JR Dragster. There are only a few more events this season, I would like to be able to get through this season on the batteries we have.

I have charged the batteries in pairs with my 12V car charger before I bought my Delta-Q charger and my wife has ran it around the pits at a couple of races... say about 10 - 15 very short trips over two days. The cart ran fine for a 14mph stock cart. A little sluggish up hill but that doesn't surprise me.

So I am taking all my new found knowledge and seeing what I come up with... sort like hands on learning. What I posted was what I got after hooking up the Delta-Q for the first time and charging the batteries fully. The cart is a little quicker both on the flat and up the incline but still on the slow side on the inclines.

You noticed that I did go ahead and mention that they were 6 year old batteries because I knew that would bring up some discussion. I am just surprised about their readings, but I know that could be for not once I test them under load, hence the sluggish up hill climbs.

Actually already have talked to my "battery guy" about a new set of Trojan T-105 but wanted to wait till next year since I am trying to finish up my new detached garage (40' X 50') and money is little tight and I also might lean towards an upgrade to 42V or 48V (20mph). This winter it all comes apart to get cleaned up, painted, new 4 gauge cables, etc. but for now, what it is, it is. Just trying to learn with my new found knowledge. Thanks for all the schooling!

Mike
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote