View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
MPH
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Exclamation Hooked up my Delta-Q charger and what is the correct way to test your batteries....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggies Gone Wild
.... 100% readings should be taken 1 hour after the charger shuts off to allow voltages to settle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Battery Company
For accurate voltage readings, batteries must remain idle (no charging, no discharging) for at least 6 hrs, preferably 24 hrs.
So question one is... which of the above statements is the preferred method or am I missing something?

The second question I have is what do you get out of my batteries readings, besides the number one is lower than the rest of the pack and bordering on no good.

So here is my story and I am sticking to it...

Hooked up my Delta-Q charger and fully charged my Trojan T-105 battery pack. They were pretty low, even though I limited my driving and charging till I bought my appropriate 36V charger, so it took about 7 hours. I then ran it for a few trips up and down the street, an hour or so of driving, then I hooked the charger back up and charged the pack back up to full which took a few hours.

Once fully charged, I disconnected the charger and let the pack sit for an hour. This is the readings I took.

Battery/ Reading

1.) 6.40
2.) 6.54
3.) 6.53
4.) 6.54
5.) 6.54
6.) 6.54

Then I took some more readings at about 14 1/2 hours later and these are the readings I took.

Battery/ Reading

1.) 6.30
2.) 6.41
3.) 6.45
4.) 6.46
5.) 6.46
6.) 6.45

With a full pack reading of 38.5.

So what do you think. Just a little bit more information... the batteries have a date stamp of G3 (July 2003) on them. I know that is on the tail end of the life cycle but ????? I will take another reading at 24 hours of rest and post those later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggies Gone Wild
The only TRUE way to test your batteries fully is on a Discharge Machine...
Now I haven't taken a discharge test yet. What is the best way for a "do it your self" guy to perform this test. I was wondering if hooking up each battery to a volt meter and measure their voltage individually under load would give me a good idea?

I also have not performed a Gravity Test, but will in the near future.

The last question that I have is... is there a way to bring my number one battery back in to the range of the batteries if only for a short time or should I just wait and see if the proper care and treatment of this battery with the Delta-Q charger will help bring it back in to proper condition?

I want to thank everybody for the help this site has provided so far. With out Buggies Gone Wild, Detla-Q Technology, and my Dad, this would have been a little bit tougher.

Thanks
Mike
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote