View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
vmdano
Not Yet Wild

Default reversing a series motor without a reversing contactor?

Hello,
I'm in a bit of a pickle. My DCX 300 in my 96 ezgo DCS has bit the biscuit. I have been planning to upgrade the motor and controller to a bigger series motor setup for some time and have ordered all the parts. I have an Alltrax AXE 7245 (series, no plugbrake) and the series motor from D&D should be here tomorrow. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the rest of the goodies, particularly the reversing contactor won't make it here till Monday /Tues and a we have a monster snowstorm coming our way Saturday! I use my cart to snow blow our 400ft road so having it working this weekend is most necessary. I just need to run the cart probably 2 runs up and down our road to clear it however just having forward could get tricky if I get into a place where I can't turn and have deep snow behind me.

So I planning on hopefully improvising something for if I need to reverse. I have a couple sets of Anderson connectors (400 amp) and thinking about some way I could reverse power to the motor field. Having never laid eyes yet on a reversing contactor I don't quite understand the circuit fully and was really hoping someone could answer these questions:

Does the reversing contactor provide power to the armature and only one side of the field coil at a time? Is the other side left open? If so, then could I wire the armature directly to the B+ and switch directions by connecting power to either field pole? Obviously I would have to shut down the main contactor and controller before swapping field poles and I'm honestly hoping to only do this twice (there is a tight spot at end of road)

Thanks in advance for helping a fellow redneck in a tight spot, or literally one come Saturday!
vmdano is offline   Reply With Quote